Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need an M4A1 clone

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Not to be that guy, but why not just save up the money and get the FN? My work gun is an FN, so if I was going to turnkey on an M4A1 I'd get the FN for that too.
    It just seems like the FN is a little over priced for what it is. If it's really worth the extra $300 I'd be down to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You want a complete clone or you want something that you can trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want a gun that I can trust that handles and feels just like my work gun. I don't care about markings or authenticity. I want to simulate my work gun to train with.

I use my own sling and light because the stuff they issue us sucks. And we have Trijicon MROs, I can get one of those and the mount no problem also.

I figured this might be more nuanced that just slapping a rail on a carbine so I'm glad I asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Buy this Colt 6920 OEM for $560. ( https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799377269 ) Pull the barrel and sell for $200 on ARFCOM. That leaves you $360 in the gun. Buy a SOCOM barrel and have your choice of muzzle device pinned/welded. That should put you in another $350 or so depending on your muzzle device. Buy a RAS and whatever other furniture you want. Even with the pin/weld, you're $710 in the base gun.
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I went the same route for the same reasons as you.

I ended up with a Colt LE6921 SOCOM 14.5in factory upper with a pinned & welded BCM A2X flash hider. Rounded it out with the KAC rail system and an M68 CCO.
    I used an Aero Precision lower with an Aero LPK. The Aero LPK's slight imperfections do a good job of simulating the same imperfections in my unit-assigned one.

Since we never use FA really, I keep wondering if I could sneak a BCM or LaRue SA trigger group into my weapon without anyone noticing.
    Last edited by JRB; 02-13-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    Personally, I think the workarounds people have mentioned JUST to get a heavy barrel are not worth it to anyone not firing on full auto. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, as they say. My Colt 14.5 M4 profile, 16.0 M4 profile, and 16.0 LW barrels are all exceedingly accurate.

If it's just a matter of weight, i don't think a 16.0 M4 and a 14.5 M4A1 are that far off in weight...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Personally, I think the workarounds people have mentioned JUST to get a heavy barrel are not worth it to anyone not firing on full auto. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, as they say. My Colt 14.5 M4 profile, 16.0 M4 profile, and 16.0 LW barrels are all exceedingly accurate.

If it's just a matter of weight, i don't think a 16.0 M4 and a 14.5 M4A1 are that far off in weight...

IMHO, it's not weight so much as balance, especially as it pertains to the ability to get on target quickly. When I switch between an M4 and an M4A1, or vice versa, I often find I'm either overdriving or underdriving the gun until I can get some reps in to get readjusted. Not a big deal if I'm deployed and only using one or the other, but might be a concern to the OP, who is going to mostly train with his personal gun, then go to work and potentially have to reach for something different. If only doing static shooting, it doesn't matter. I get that it's not a huge difference, but if I were in his shoes I'd prefer a similar barrel if reasonably possible.

I haven't handled a 16" 6920 recently, but don't recall noticing nearly as much difference between 14.5 and 16" govt profile M4 clones, as I did with the M4A1. Obviously that's my own subjective perception, which may be completely skewed.

Is it worth worrying about? I don't know, but I'd at least take a look around for a deal on a heavy barreled carbine before just picking up a 6920 and calling it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    IMHO, it's not weight so much as balance, especially as it pertains to the ability to get on target quickly. When I switch between an M4 and an M4A1, or vice versa, I often find I'm either overdriving or underdriving the gun until I can get some reps in to get readjusted. Not a big deal if I'm deployed and only using one or the other, but might be a concern to the OP, who is going to mostly train with his personal gun, then go to work and potentially have to reach for something different. If only doing static shooting, it doesn't matter. I get that it's not a huge difference, but if I were in his shoes I'd prefer a similar barrel if reasonably possible.

I haven't handled a 16" 6920 recently, but don't recall noticing nearly as much difference between 14.5 and 16" govt profile M4 clones, as I did with the M4A1. Obviously that's my own subjective perception, which may be completely skewed.

Is it worth worrying about? I don't know, but I'd at least take a look around for a deal on a heavy barreled carbine before just picking up a 6920 and calling it good.
    This right here. I want something that will feel and handle like my work gun so I can train with it.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I wanted something similar so last year I bought one of the Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrels, installed it on the upper of my choice with pinned and welded A2 FH. I found a Colt BCG on sale and a LMT striped lower. Haven't built the lower yet, I'm just taking my time, no short cuts for quality. I found a good deal on a Colt LPK so that's on it's way now. Next decision is the buffer tube assembly. Decided between an A5 or standard carbine tube with Geissele "super 42" spring and buffer.
    I've shot the upper on another lower and love it. The length, weight and the handling are there. It's not meant to be a clone per se but it's close to what you're doing. I want something super reliable and able to take a lot of use.

I bought a 6920, then replaced the 16" barrel with a pinned Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. The money I got selling the 16" barrel paid for the 14.5" SOCOM barrel. The difference is small, but well worth it

My 2018 Colt M4A1 SOCOM
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-13-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I bought a 6920, then replaced the 16" barrel with a pinned Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. The money I got selling the 16" barrel paid for the 14.5" SOCOM barrel. The difference is small, but well worth it

My 2018 Colt M4A1 SOCOM
    Mist Wolf, I went with the Magpull SL handguard as well. I really like it handles and shoots. I shoot irons and I get regular hits out past 100m using a K&S pin head type front sight painted gold.

So now I'm thinking I'm just going to sell all my AR's (best one I own right now is an M&P15 sport II) and start over. That means eventually getting 3, maybe 4, identical rifles and not much else so that I can get intimately familiar with one setup inside and out. And whether I'm at work or I'm training or I need to grab my home defense rifle I won't miss a beat because they're all as close as I can get them. That still means I need an M4A1 clone but now I'll end up buying duplicates as the budget allows. I'm going through a purge of the gun collection so that will probably cover it when it's all said and done.

So I'm thinking about this:
    https://fnamerica.com/products/rifle...fn-15-carbine/

Says it has the heavy government profile. Looks like it might be a good option for a base gun that just needs an RAS, new rear sight, and ambi safety. The other option is a Colt LE6920HBPW but the Colt is $1020 (cheapest I found anyway) and I found the FN for $780. Thoughts? Is the FN comparable to the Colt? Is the Colt worth $240 more? Maybe grab the FN for the range and a Colt for defense?

User Tag List