Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need an M4A1 clone

Need an M4A1 clone

So I work for the government as an armed security guard. Not too long ago we got issued new M4A1 carbines and I would like to get one good quality carbine set up as closely as possible to my work gun. Something that you wouldn't have any qualms about keeping around for a worst case scenario. I know FN makes a turn-key clone, price seems a tad steep to me. I know Colt offered a clone not long ago that looked good but it seems they're out of stock everywhere and possibly discontinued. I believe BCM also had a clone but I can't find it on Brownell's anymore and I don't know the model number so I haven't tried very hard to track one down. I saw Aero Precision has one, $1,000 seems reasonable but I'd really like something on par with Colt or BCM and I don't know enough about Aero Precision. Sounds like they're alright but a step down from what I'd like. Is that about right?

So do I/can I track down a Colt or BCM clone? It wouldn't be a big deal to just buy a carbine and get a used RAS off eBay (I've already got 3 from ebay and Gunbroker) and add the few small things I'd need if I had to go that route but I'd kinda prefer to just buy it outright. Is there another option I'm overlooking? Suggestions for a base gun if I have to add bits to it myself to get there?

And while I'm at it I'd also like to get an AR pistol to go along with it, set up similarly too. I have a PSA kit gun for range fun with an RAS but I'd like to have something better just because.

I appreciate the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Not to be that guy, but why not just save up the money and get the FN? My work gun is an FN, so if I was going to turnkey on an M4A1 I'd get the FN for that too.

You want a complete clone or you want something that you can trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT Distributors has both FN15 M4 clones and Colt/Magpul LE6920s in stock. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Site Supporter
    The true M4A1 clones command high prices because of the SOCOM cool factor, which IMHO isn't worth what they want for it.

If you just want a trainer for your work gun, you could just get a regular 6920, drop a KAC rail on it, and add lead weights under the handguard until it has the same shitty, muzzle heavy balance as your issued M4A1.

If you start with a regular 6920, vendors like Brownell's or G&R Tactical sometimes get the 14.5" heavy barrels, that can be installed with a pinned & welded extended flash suppressor. It's not a turnkey solution, but could get you to an A1 clone for a few hundred dollars less than what I've seen the FN and Colt SOCOM replicas go for.

Site Supporter
    Just buy a 6920 and a KAC RAS. No need to worry about the heavy barrel in a semi-auto. You can get something "like" a Colt or you can just get a Colt.

I would say closest is a 6920 or an fn. My favorite rifle and my first one carried in combat was a fn m4 upper on a colt lower that had been in Fallujah. bad ass rifle with a story.

Give me a call, or shoot me an email. We have some FN-15 Patrol Carbines that I can get you LE pricing on.

ETA: We also have the standard FN-15, if you wanted to grab a KAC RAS off Ebay instead of buying the Patrol model with rail (and rear BUIS).
    Last edited by Craig@SSD; 02-12-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    CraigR@ssdinternationalinc.com / 407-410-6914 Option 1 / About Us

You want a Colt 6920HB. Direct M4A1 clone with heavy SOCOM barrel. Really cool rifle with the factory 203 cut out under the hand guards. Wish I never sold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    So I work for the government as an armed security guard. Not too long ago we got issued new M4A1 carbines and I would like to get one good quality carbine set up as closely as possible to my work gun. Something that you wouldn't have any qualms about keeping around for a worst case scenario. I know FN makes a turn-key clone, price seems a tad steep to me. I know Colt offered a clone not long ago that looked good but it seems they're out of stock everywhere and possibly discontinued. I believe BCM also had a clone but I can't find it on Brownell's anymore and I don't know the model number so I haven't tried very hard to track one down. I saw Aero Precision has one, $1,000 seems reasonable but I'd really like something on par with Colt or BCM and I don't know enough about Aero Precision. Sounds like they're alright but a step down from what I'd like. Is that about right?

So do I/can I track down a Colt or BCM clone? It wouldn't be a big deal to just buy a carbine and get a used RAS off eBay (I've already got 3 from ebay and Gunbroker) and add the few small things I'd need if I had to go that route but I'd kinda prefer to just buy it outright. Is there another option I'm overlooking? Suggestions for a base gun if I have to add bits to it myself to get there?

And while I'm at it I'd also like to get an AR pistol to go along with it, set up similarly too. I have a PSA kit gun for range fun with an RAS but I'd like to have something better just because.

I appreciate the help.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLapre View Post
    You want a Colt 6920HB. Direct M4A1 clone with heavy SOCOM barrel. Really cool rifle with the factory 203 cut out under the hand guards. Wish I never sold mine.
    This ^^. An M-4 / 6920 is not an M4A1. The M4A1 has the 14.5' SOCOM heavy barrel and an ambi safety. The complete civilian Colt M4A1's were brining big money because the M4A1 marked guns were limited production and "cloners" wanted the M4A1 roll mark. The current 6920HBPW is more reasonably priced because it is a standard M-4 roll mark 6920 with a pinned and welded 14.5' SOCOM barrel.

The original 6920HB was an exclusive for Specialized Armaent Warehouse. Not sure if they are still availible.

If I recall correctly the original "limited' run of M4A1's had a special run of 16' barrels with the SOCOM HB profile / M203 cuts.

The current (2018) Colt M4A1 is part of the "military Classics" line and runs about $1400ish at Buds Gunshop. https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...ts-rail-forend

The current commercial Colt M4A1 comes with the matech rear sight and KAC RAS.

The above colt is still $200 cheaper than the similarly equiped FN "Military Collector" M4 which is $1599 and it is not clear if it is an M-4 or SOCOM profile barrel. FN makes quality rifles but $200 is a lot for a UID sticker.

Buds has the 6920HBPW for just over $ 1,000 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...6_nato_145_30+

It comes with regular M-4 handguards and a magpul Mbus rear sight but KAC RAS and Matech sights are cheap and easy to find on various AR forum classifieds. For $ 1,000 I would buy a 6920HBPW over an Aero any day of the week. As much as I like their receivers, I'm not a fan of Aero's complete guns.

If a complete Colt is not in the cards, BCM sells M4A1 uppers minus handguards, BCG etc. BCM offers the option to order it already pined and welded.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...m4-14socom.htm

Brownells sells an M4A1 upper but it does not appear to have the correct barrel.

This is ironic as Brownells does sell the correct barrel here : https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod113645.aspx

Again, you can usually source a KAC rail on the various AR forum classifeds at a substantial discount over new.

The DOD security guys I worked with the last time a fugitive crashed the fence of one of our local bases had M4A1's with Aimpoint Comp M4's and some type of black Blue Force gear sling. I did not notice a WML. You should be able to find Aimpoint M4's in the ARFCOM classifieds for under $500 if you are patient.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.

User Tag List