Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoot more, argue less

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Unfortunately there's extremely little to discuss regarding firearms.
    And that's the genius of P-F. We're stripping away all of the non-essential to get to the essential, which is usually a G19.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    ...which is usually a G19.
    That's bullshit!

I find the pedantic technical discussions to be really informative if you do any instruction.
    After 5 pages of back and forth discussion we usually find out we're all basically doing the exact same thing, just describing it in different ways.
    This gives you as an instructor multiple ways to explain a complicated (or simple) concept, which is great if your "usual" explanation just isn't clicking with your student.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I find the pedantic technical discussions to be really informative if you do any instruction.
    After 5 pages of back and forth discussion we usually find out we're all basically doing the exact same thing, just describing it in different ways.
    This gives you as an instructor multiple ways to explain a complicated (or simple) concept, which is great if your "usual" explanation just isn't clicking with your student.
    I think these technical discussions are also extremely helpful in advancing your own technical skills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think these technical discussions are also extremely helpful in advancing your own technical skills.
    I have personally benefited from many of the discussions in the Software section of the forum. I tend to do more reading than posting in that section and only post if I feel I have something specific from my own experience to add. Mostly I try to gain insight from more skilled/experienced shooters.

Good topics also still come up fairly often in the Handgun, Rifle, and Ammo sections. Very worthwhile stuff is still being discussed, especially when threads stay on topic.

It's winter, people get feisty.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

One of my favorite "Non Sequitur" comics:
    A man travels to India to find the answer to life. Meets a guru on a mountain top who tells him, "Arguing with stupid people makes you stupid."
    Man returns home and wife asks him how it went.
    Man says, "He told me avoid the internet and don't run for Congress."
    Real guns have hammers.

Shoot more, argue less. This sounds like good marriage advice. Im a lot easier to get along with if I have recently been to the range.
    That said PF is a great place and different that most online communities. Its a place where I listen far more than I speak

User Tag List