Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot more, argue less

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    One of the biggest killers of gun forums is when non gun stuff overtakes gun stuff.
    I would say it's politics. The only threads that get contentious are the political ones, the others run for a long time and everyone is happy and polite, then Tom comes in and gives away something nice to someone who has a need. I think he's bribing us to hang out with him.

Elsewhere on the 'net, folks seem to think gun forums are there to inject politics into nearly every discussion. If it isn't overtly politics, then there will be snide references to "libtards" or whatever politician has managed to get their attention (and will be referred to in as derogatory way as their little brains can conjure).

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Unfortunately there's extremely little to discuss regarding firearms.
    Pretty much, especially if your firearms interest is narrowly focused like many here (not a critique, just an observation).

Personally, I "contribute" more to the non-gun or non-pistol-training stuff because I don't know enough about pistol-training and pistol-related excellence to to anything other than absorb from everyone else who is knowledgeable. Other gun forums don't even have that much going for them.

Chris

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I would say it's politics. The only threads that get contentious are the political ones, the others run for a long time and everyone is happy and polite, then Tom comes in and gives away something nice to someone who has a need. I think he's bribing us to hang out with him.

Elsewhere on the 'net, folks seem to think gun forums are there to inject politics into nearly every discussion. If it isn't overtly politics, then there will be snide references to "libtards" or whatever politician has managed to get their attention (and will be referred to in as derogatory way as their little brains can conjure).

Pretty much, especially if your firearms interest is narrowly focused like many here (not a critique, just an observation).

Personally, I "contribute" more to the non-gun or non-pistol-training stuff because I don't know enough about pistol-training and pistol-related excellence to to anything other than absorb from everyone else who is knowledgeable. Other gun forums don't even have that much going for them.

Chris
    Exactly. The level of complacency about "der der libtards shouldn't have guns" and "der der, the 2d Amendment secures all other freedoms" as if firearms can solve things like civil rights abuses, due process issues, full faith and credit issues, etc. is just nauseating. I don't see as much of that here, thankfully.

For me, getting back into it after a long time away, I've gotten some really good info here, including books (like Stoeger's Dry Fire Reloaded), equipment (shot timers) and so on. I'm learning from threads on stuff like, what do people use for non lethal force options, etc. So I'd like to thank everybody for that, and say that I'm happy to be here.

Site Supporter
    If the weather stays, I will shoot two IDPA guns. A 1911 and an outlaw SW 632 in 32. I will then opine with why I suck. This is a touch of a warm up for Historic Handguns as I will shoot a 1911, revolver and Glock - maybe a 3rd gen SW if borrowing one works out. I will then relate this to the UN, AOC, Trump and cheese.

mandatory food content- tried a new Iraqi restaurant in town. Really Middle Eastern in atmosphere , good food and friendly. Mint flavored yogurt drinks are a new taste for me. This supports my theory of all wars must lead to good takeout.

It’s ok to have passionate debate, as long as we keep it civil.

The real problem lately has been this damn weather. If I can start getting weekends even at a somewhat suck, from a total suck level, we’ll be more civil, and spending less time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It’s ok to have passionate debate, as long as we keep it civil.

The real problem lately has been this damn weather. If I can start getting weekends even at a somewhat suck, from a total suck level, we’ll be more civil, and spending less time here.
    You ain’t just whistlin’ dixie.

I’ve seen about 2.5 hours of actual sunlight in the past 17 days. For a guy who is hardwired to soak up sunshine like a lizard, I’m starting to run short on patience and brain power. I sat staring at my computer this morning for 35 minutes trying to remember what I was doing.

I’m really starting to Jack Nicholson in The Shining...

Yeah.

A wise person once said “Not everything you read on the Internet needs a response. Even if it is directed at you.”

Maybe I should add especially if it is directed at you. Folks are passionate about a lot of things. Me, meh. Not so much.

I do try to post informative, or a least entertaining content. I try and add pictures where I can. I limit offering advice to areas I’m professionally or personally qualified in. That’s about it.

If I need to listen, I try to. I’ve often said Pistol-Forum doesn’t always tell you what you want to hear, but it usually tells you what you need to hear.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-12-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yeah.

If I need to listen, I try to. I’ve often said Pistol-Forum doesn’t always tell you what you want to hear, but it usually tells you what you need to hear.
    This is definitely the case for me. I have been eavesdropping here for about 2 years and I know even at my still very newbie state I am way ahead of the game compared to the others in my local group.

Would I have discovered moving to TDA, an SP2022, from the P320 on my own? Would I even know about Givens, Hackathorn, Ellifritz, Spaulding, etc, on my own? I don't think so....

So my own two cents is, I stay away from the political and social opinion threads, and focus on the amazing information you all have given me in the past 2 years. For that, I am extremely grateful, and with the exception of the shit mods, I look forward to many more years here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    We need a pledge.

Okie John
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    We simply have the Pistol Forum dialectic.

That's all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Damn it. That reminds me that I'm at least a couple of weeks late shipping you something I told you I'd send after I got back from SHOT.
    No worries. I mostly forgot about it myself and assume you have been busy.

Chris

User Tag List