Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Hard Primer 9x19 Ammo

Do you reload? Find some Tula primers and reload those.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Do you reload? Find some Tula primers and reload those.
    I do, but the 550 is set up for .40 S&W and I need to finish those first. I have tried Federal 205s with the other PX4s and they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I do, but the 550 is set up for .40 S&W and I need to finish those first. I have tried Federal 205s with the other PX4s and they work fine.
    No I meant those primers are very hard, and if your PX4 ignites them you’re g2g.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    No I meant those primers are very hard, and if your PX4 ignites them you’re g2g.
    I understand that, but I'd have to switch out the dies for 9x19 and find those primers somewhere online (I live in BFL and have a hard time finding SP primers of any kind in a store). It's not a cost/time-effective option.

Site Supporter
    Well, horse pucky. Out of 36 rounds of Winchester NATO-spec hardball, two took two trigger pulls. That makes it a no-go at this station. D spring goes back in it, at least until I can order another 12 lb. spring.

Glad I found this thread as I'm currently wanting to "proof" several pistols as well.

I dug out this ranking somewhere else (from lightest to hardest):

Federal
    Winchester
    S&B
    Remington
    CCI

However, I find some claims that S&B is even harder than CCI. Currently the overwhelming majority of my ammo is still Winchester and Federal, but that will be changing as I shoot through it as I will be transitioning to Prvi Partizan/Fiocchi/IMI/S&B. Knowing where those primers fall in line with Federal/Winchester/CCI would be nice.

I have some IMI on hand as I use their 158 grain stuff. I have some Winchester NATO stuff on hand as well and this is the first I've seen that it uses a harder than usual primer from Winchester.

Hopefully I can test my guns on my IMI and Winchester NATO and if they're good to go then they'll be good with any quality European ammo. I like the looks of that Prvi NATO load as well as the current stuff that is labeled S&B but is made by RUAG in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I understand that, but I'd have to switch out the dies for 9x19
    Why?

If you have a hand primer, just prime a dozen empty cases.

You'll know if it sets the primer off when you pull the trigger.

May still be faster to buy loaded ammo, of course. Just saying, you don't have to get the dies out.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-16-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    @RevolverRob - I've got a hand primer. It's been so long since I've used it that that didn't even occur to me. It's been at least 25 years since I've used it to load handgun ammo and I'm not sure I even have a shell holder for 9x19 anymore. Loading a dozen cases might not have worked, since the gun functioned fine with more than that before it hiccupped.

I've run almost 100 rounds of ammo loaded with Federal 205s (Small Rifle) through one of my other PX4s with a 12 lb. spring and those rounds functioned without issue. I'm going to get another 12 lb. spring and install it and keep on truckin' until I send it to Langdon.

User Tag List