Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast bullet hardness

Titegroup and bare lead bullets don't mix. That practice will get the EPA involved.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Titegroup and bare lead bullets don't mix. That practice will get the EPA involved.
    I eventually figured that out. It often looked like I was shooting an 1860 Army rather than an S&W M67.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I just placed and order with rimrock
    They look like a good source. Had been using Dardas but he retired.

I've used lasercast and Missouri. I like these the best. They seem to lead less and they're cheaper.

Don't know if it's been mentioned before but polymer coated cast bullets make everything easier and cleaner by an order of magnitude. I no longer buy bare lead bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can you explain more on this? What's considered a good fit between bullet and grooves and between bullet and throat?

And does the degree of interference fit needed between the unfired bullet and the throat/grooves vary depending on the lead hardness and chamber pressure?

I think the ultimate goal is to have good solid bullet obturation.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about cast boolits:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Sure! Working off memory here...

The key to good accuracy is to have a bullet that is just slightly oversized for the bore and cylinder throats. Ideally your throats are the same or slightly larger than your barrel. If the barrel is larger, then you'd want to use a soft bullet in the hope that it would "bump up" or obturate under pressure to fill the barrel after existing the cylinder throat. Ideally you wouldn't want to rely solely on obturation through.

Your bullets should be .001 over the largest measurement, which *should* be your throats.
    Actually, you want the bullet to be right at or a hair under throat diameter. The bullet should push through the throat with just a little effort.

If you’re at the right diameter with regards to throats and get leading and/or poor accuracy, it could be the throats are too tight.

EPA

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Why would that be...................curious minds want to know?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Why would that be...................curious minds want to know?
    He was being facetious. Titegroup and lead bullets are an extremely smokey combination.

User Tag List