Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

If your decision for your first pistol to seriously learn defensive shooting is between a subcompact and a doublestack compact like the M2.0, assuming you have at least size Medium hands -

pick the larger pistol every day and twice on Sunday. Even though it's not perceptible in gun reviews, or in the first hour you coon-finger them both, the benefits of a grip size that better fits in your hands without having to hold on for dear life, are huge. You'll enjoy shooting it more, having easier-to-manage recoil lets you progress in learning trigger control and proper sight picture faster.

Then your only issue is how to carry a slightly larger pistol, and there's some EXCELLENT holster makers here along with great advice from members who are carrying the same size and larger pistols all day and have been for years.

My 2c worth exactly what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    The more I think, I'm leaning more towards original shield as I can conceal it better and can use as HD and range, all in one.
    I can upgrade the grip and trigger for cheap if needed.
    I will add a 22LR for practice if shield gives me hard time at the range.

M&P 2.0 is good but it's big. I can't conceal it except when wearing jacket.
    Colorado is cold but only for few months.
    We are already having over 70 degrees weather.
    Even in winter, I can't wear jacket at work as there's air conditioning plus I work in front of computer all day so sitting with a big gun for hours will be uncomfortable.
    It's a good gun and feels good in my hands but it'll be only HD gun.
    A lot of guys here suggest to practice at range with the gun you carry so can't do that with the compact as I won't be carrying it.

Decisions... decisions...
    You should be able to fit both a Shield and the M&P Compact 2.0 in the safe I gave you, FWIW.

The M&P 2.0 is a good size for concealment if you put some effort into selection of your clothes, holster and belt. With that said, there's certainly nothing wrong with carrying the Shield at work, particularly if you work in an environment where you'd likely be fired if you were found to be carrying legally. If you work in the tech industry(?), it's my understanding that the unofficial cultural "uniform" is a collared shirt and fleece vest. That'd be a great concealment garment, particularly if you carry appendix.....and, in addition, even the M&P Compact would disappear in a good appendix setup.

One thing to note is that if you want to conceal well, it's going to take some trial and error with holsters. You'll definitely need to invest in a good gun belt, too. Comfort, just like concealability, will depend on how well you match these items up. You probably won't believe us at first, but a quality setup can be very comfortable. I used to do 10 hour car rides with a P2000 carried appendix, no problem. Appendix is also very popular among the Air Marshals, and I can't think of a more uncomfortably-seated job in the world. Currently I carry a Glock 19 just forward of 3 O'clock, and I don't think carrying a smaller pistol would be any more comfortable.

Holster and belt play a much bigger role in comfort than the size of the gun does.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You should be able to fit both a Shield and the M&P Compact 2.0 in the safe I gave you, FWIW.

The M&P 2.0 is a good size for concealment if you put some effort into selection of your clothes, holster and belt. With that said, there's certainly nothing wrong with carrying the Shield at work, particularly if you work in an environment where you'd likely be fired if you were found to be carrying legally. If you work in the tech industry(?), it's my understanding that the unofficial cultural "uniform" is a collared shirt and fleece vest. That'd be a great concealment garment, particularly if you carry appendix.....and, in addition, even the M&P Compact would disappear in a good appendix setup.

One thing to note is that if you want to conceal well, it's going to take some trial and error with holsters. You'll definitely need to invest in a good gun belt, too. Comfort, just like concealability, will depend on how well you match these items up. You probably won't believe us at first, but a quality setup can be very comfortable. I used to do 10 hour car rides with a P2000 carried appendix, no problem. Appendix is also very popular among the Air Marshals, and I can't think of a more uncomfortably-seated job in the world. Currently I carry a Glock 19 just forward of 3 O'clock, and I don't think carrying a smaller pistol would be any more comfortable.

Holster and belt play a much bigger role in comfort than the size of the gun does.
    Shirt is not required and ccw is permitted at work.
    Appendix carry is something that scares me just thinking about so not aiming for that at all.
    It'll be most likely IWB carry for now.

I'll get gun belt/s and appropriate accessories regardless of what gun I buy.

I haven't bought any range membership yet so there's still time to decide what to buy.
    My goal is to become a member the same time I get a gun so I can utilize both together.

I'm certain I'll get at least two guns. It's just the matter of getting 1 bigger and 1 smaller gun or one 9mm another .22lr.
    If I get more varieties, I can use this safe as a car safe and get bigger one for home.

Hi Mystery! Welcome to the forum. I have two young kids and I’ve had to put thought into gun safety at home around children. It sounds like you have a good storage solution, so you’re covered there. I also recommend some of the following resources for you:

1. Massad Ayoob’s book “Gun Safety in the Home”: https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Safety-Ho...fety+in&sr=8-1

2. Claude Werner’s blog, “The Tactical Professor.” Check out these tags on “living with guns”: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....ing-with-guns/
    You can also find Werner on Facebook. He posts regularly.

3. The blog Growing Up Guns has well-thought our advice for gun owners with kids. GUG also has an active Facebook page. https://www.growingupguns.com/category/children-2/

4. Greg Ellifritz’s website Active Response Training, with the famous and always useful Weekend Knowledge Dump in addition to his own excellent articles: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net

5. Not sure how old your kids are, but you should teach them gun safety early. Here are two resources I’ve used with my kids:

Eddie Eagle: https://eddieeagle.nra.org
    Toys, Tools, Guns and Rules: https://www.amazon.com/Toys-Tools-Gu...s+tools&sr=8-1

You should get a pretty good start with those resources. Living with a gun goes beyond just carrying it around. It’s about planning out your day so you avoid places where you are prohibited from carrying. Or if you have to go there youplan ahead to make sure to have a means of securing your gun in your car. Or if you don’t have a car and don’t have a secure place to keep your gun, making the decision to leave it at home and take a different tool like pepper spray.

You have to decide ahead of time if you’ll talk about guns with co-workers, friends, and family. If you have family members who are anti-gun you need to think about how talking about guns would affect your relationship. I’m not saying you shouldn’t talk about it, just saying that you should think about it.

Think about having multiple ways of carrying a gun. For example, consider getting a belly band system in addition to a belt-mounted holster so you can carry a larger gun under a tucked-in shirt. Consider getting one holster with really strong clips (like the discreet carry concepts clips; search for that phrase on pistol-forum) so you can throw a gun on when you’re wearing sweats or gym shorts. Think about all the places you go and how you dress and fit your carry methods to that.

Anyway, there’s a ton of info out there. Focus on building safe gun handling habits (getting a “blue gun” or an airsoft pistol really helps with this). Make a habit of securing your firearms whenever they aren’t in a holster on your body. Learn your local laws about concealed carry, firearms transportation, firearms storage, deadly force, and self-defense. Build a trauma kit and check out Dark Angel Medical’s free online videos (http://darkangelmedical.com/online-training/).

Pick one thing to work on or learn about each week and take it step by step. You’ll gain confidence as you gain knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    Hi Mystery! Welcome to the forum. I have two young kids and I’ve had to put thought into gun safety at home around children. It sounds like you have a good storage solution, so you’re covered there. I also recommend some of the following resources for you:
    Thanks for the links @zuplex.

My kids are very small, not even in kindergarten yet.

I'm looking at a shield 9mm or a compact 9mm plus a 22lr.
    Not yet decided so I'll know what I'll buy when I buy.

Mystery - lots of other folks have given this advice, but, it's SO true, that I feel the need to echo it.

For a LEARNING pistol, you DO NOT want something super compact and light. Learning to shoot a handgun well is NOT as easy as it looks on Call of Duty - and a small, light pistol will add extra recoil/flash, and less grip to hold onto to control recoil - not to mention shorter sight radius, etc.

Buy the M2.0 compact. LEARN TO SHOOT first, THEN find your "carry" pistol.

You have valid concerns about safety and children, use a gun safe/pistol vault in the house. If you're leery of firearms, get the 2.0C with manual safety for added peace of mind. Later, after your comfortable with shooting and gun handling, you can branch out into concealment options, though I carry a G19 (size equivalent to 2.0C) all day, every day, and, if I can do it, so can you!

User Tag List