Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    I knew your wife had impeccable taste.
    Yes, she does.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Picking me is evidence to the contrary.
    This is also true.

@Mystery - Again, warm welcome to p-f. You are in very good hands here. This forum has some of the most solid, germane advice I've seen on the internet, bar none. And very solid people, as I hope you are seeing.

I picked up a handgun, essentially for the first time, in 2013. I share many of your same concerns. After five years, and quite a bit of switching around different guns, I ended up with a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. I am pretty happy with both. I still have a lot to learn.

I hope you continue to ask questions and get good answers. I look forward to hearing more about your progress.

Good luck!

rich
    Last edited by RJ; 02-13-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Maybe you should read the thread the OP asked about what to buy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    What pistol to buy. Not holsters or anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    What pistol to buy. Not holsters or anything else
    Cool dude.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for welcomes and suggestions.

Will update how things go.

If we lived in the same county, I would take you to the range and put some different guns in your hand.
    I have done that. My latest prospect went with one, but after shooting it for a while on loan, changed her mind and went with another brand to buy.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    First, is that restriction applicable to new magazines only? It may not apply to used magazines.

If that S&W pistol is new, it most likely shipped with a magazine compliant with your state's law.

Back when the federal "assault weapons" ban was in place, I legally owned a bunch of 20 and 30 round AR-15 magazines and I am not a cop. What the law really means and what most people think it means (including "authority figures" like cops, gun dealers, and range officers) are usually two different things.
    From what I read, magazine restriction is for all new and old when it comes to selling/transferring.
    You can have higher capacity magazines if you bought it before the ban.

One can only sell or transfer or give away 15+ magazines as part or kit but not as a whole whether new or old.

Correct me if that's incorrect.
    Last edited by Mystery; 02-17-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    From what I read, magazine restriction is for all new and old when it comes to selling/transferring.
    You can have higher capacity magazines if you bought it before the ban.

One can only sell or transfer or give away 15+ magazines as part or kit but not as a whole whether new or old.

Correct me if that's incorrect.
    I'm in Colorado Springs so I have to deal with this buffoonery as well.

At this point in time no one has been charged with a crime for possession yet. I'm sure it has been in the mix for plea bargaining in some cases.

The law grandfathers in magazines you may have owned before that mistake was passed on 2013. Since magazines don't tend to have a manufactured date on them I have officially owned mine for at least the last six years. Most places will simply disassemble the magazine and call it a repair kit if you are just buying magazines. I have bought (in a couple of different LGS) handguns with > 15 round capacity since then. While it is a case of "no one really cares," I would not recommend carrying one for CCW. Specifically in the Denver area. They get away with some sort of "home rule" to supersede state law. You might want to check your municipality's laws on firearms.
    Last edited by Ichiban; 02-17-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Post Still searching...

I haven't bought a gun yet.
    Still deciding.
    One thing that's new is I'm also considering Shield instead of just compact 2.0.

User Tag List