Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Thank you for suggestions.
    I don't want very small (conceal labeled) gun. I haven't tried them but read it's hard to hold compared to compact size.

SD9VE and Glock 19 look like same size. I'll check them out.

Budget is not tight at all.
    Just budget conscious in case I don't like the gun and want to sell/trade.
    I think the refs for glock or m&p are solid.

If you’re budget conscious, a huge benefit of those guns is the wide variety of aftermarket parts which means you can get stuff like holster, mags, sights, etc at a better price or with less effort to procure. I’d search the forums or start a post here if you have questions about specific gear, as often I see other gun forums promote frankly unsafe, subpar and ultimately overpriced gear.

Secondly with regards to the FFL question, sometimes you can get good deals online net of shipping and the FFL transfer fee. Especially if you get a good price on LE trade ins that often are carried a lot but shot little.

"An FFL is not required for an in-state, face to face, person to person transfer. You don't need a background check or FFL if you buy a gun from your buddy"

That's true as far as federal law, but some states require background checks/FFL for all[1] transfers - and if the OP is in Colorado, I think they passed such a law.

(I'm not from Colorado, and maybe my quick google found erroneous results)

[1]with, usually, some exceptions for close family members.

It’s probably worth the time and effort to find a range with a food selection of rental guns. Go down and shoot everything that interests you. If you your wife is even remotely interested, take her. Find something that works reasonably well.

My wife shot all the major choices and settled on the H&K P30/VP9. She’s not a shooter and has arthritis, so that’s 100% subjective, based on how much it hurts to shoot. The Aftermarket isn’t nearly as strong as Glock or M&P.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It’s probably worth the time and effort to find a range with a food selection of rental guns. Go down and shoot everything that interests you. If you your wife is even remotely interested, take her. Find something that works reasonably well.

My wife shot all the major choices and settled on the H&K P30/VP9. She’s not a shooter and has arthritis, so that’s 100% subjective, based on how much it hurts to shoot. The Aftermarket isn’t nearly as strong as Glock or M&P.
    I knew your wife had impeccable taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    I knew your wife had impeccable taste.
    Picking me is evidence to the contrary.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Edit: Colorado has magazine restriction on 15+ rounds.
    SD9VE has 16 rounds magazine so that won't work.
    First, is that restriction applicable to new magazines only? It may not apply to used magazines.

If that S&W pistol is new, it most likely shipped with a magazine compliant with your state's law.

Back when the federal "assault weapons" ban was in place, I legally owned a bunch of 20 and 30 round AR-15 magazines and I am not a cop. What the law really means and what most people think it means (including "authority figures" like cops, gun dealers, and range officers) are usually two different things.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-13-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Glock 19, get an SCD from TauDev. Get a quality holster, JMCK is very popular around here. Buy ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Also consider that compact safes can walk away with someone unless they are affixed to something solid in your home. Additionally nothing is impenetrable given adequate time/tools/skill, the idea is to mitigate risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Glock 19, get an SCD from TauDev. Get a quality holster, JMCK is very popular around here. Buy ammo.

Read the OP. She's not interested in carrying a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Read the OP. She's not interested in carrying a pistol.
    Maybe you should read the thread the OP asked about what to buy.

Last edited by Grey; 02-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.

User Tag List