Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Thank you for suggestions.
    I don't want very small (conceal labeled) gun. I haven't tried them but read it's hard to hold compared to compact size.

SD9VE and Glock 19 look like same size. I'll check them out.

Budget is not tight at all.
    Just budget conscious in case I don't like the gun and want to sell/trade.

Edit: Colorado has magazine restriction on 15+ rounds.
    SD9VE has 16 rounds magazine so that won't work.
    Welcome to PF.

The Glock 19 is the CCW pistol that all others are compared to. A long, proven history and track record of being one of the best carry pistols and huge aftermarket support make it a good choice for most people. Given the mag restrictions, that would be my suggestion. If you hate it, you would have no problem selling it.

I'll second the Glock 19 recommendation.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Thank you for suggestions.
    I don't want very small (conceal labeled) gun. I haven't tried them but read it's hard to hold compared to compact size.

SD9VE and Glock 19 look like same size. I'll check them out.

Budget is not tight at all.
    Just budget conscious in case I don't like the gun and want to sell/trade.

Edit: Colorado has magazine restriction on 15+ rounds.
    SD9VE has 16 rounds magazine so that won't work.
    SD9VE has 10 round magazines available for capacity restricted states.

Yes, the G19 and SD9VE are about the same size.

The G19 (and all other GLOCKs) has a great accessory available for it: the SCD. No other striker fired pistol has that advantage.

I'd throw the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 into the mix too. It's an upgrade over the budget model SD9VE that's more similar to Glock 19 quality.

There's dozens more high quality options, I'd really suggest the the Glock or M&P if you can muster the $500-600. Go for the he SD9VE if you can't. It's probably worth looking for a night sight version of whatever you choose. This place is advertising M&P Compact 2.0's for $350 with free shipping. You should be able to find a local FFL that does transfers for under $30 pretty easily.

(I don't know anything about the above linked seller)

Consider buying used too. There's a couple pretty decent deals on pre-loved Glock 19s in the Classifieds.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'd throw the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 into the mix too. It's an upgrade over the budget model SD9VE that's more similar to Glock 19 quality.

There's dozens more high quality options, I'd really suggest the the Glock or M&P if you can muster the $500-600. Go for the he SD9VE if you can't. It's probably worth looking for a night sight version of whatever you choose. This place is advertising M&P Compact 2.0's for $350 with free shipping. You should be able to find a local FFL that does transfers for under $30 pretty easily.

(I don't know anything about the above linked seller)

Consider buying used too. There's a couple pretty decent deals on pre-loved Glock 19s in the Classifieds.
    I haven't read about FFL.
    Is FFL a required part of gun buying?
    In Colorado, we don't need to register guns so what is FFL? Is that the background check or for online purchases only?

In Colorado, we don't need to register guns so what is FFL? Is that the background check or for online purchases only?
    An FFL is not required for an in-state, face to face, person to person transfer. You don't need a background check or FFL if you buy a gun from your buddy or some local dude on Armslist.com. BTW, this is what The Media is referring to when they use the term "Gun Show Loophole."

A individual or retail seller cannot ship directly to you. They have to ship the gun to your FFL. When the gun arrives, you'll go down to the FFL and fill out an background check form (ATF form 4473) the same way you would if you bought the gun directly from that FFL. It's a pretty straight forward process and does not "register" the gun with the state.

Assuming no hickups in the background check, it probably takes 20 minutes.
    FWIW, my dumpy little pawn show charges $20 cash per form (doesn't matter if it's one gun or five), several bucks extra for credit cards.
    Last edited by David S.; 02-12-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    David S.

It's short for Federal Firearms License, and often used as a shorthand for Federally licensed gun seller. That's someone legally licensed & registered to legally sell firearms- usually a proper gun store, but sometimes refers to a friend with the proper paperwork who does it from home part time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Person-to-person transfers are (generally) fine if both people are residents of the same state. If they are residents of different states, the transfer must go through an FFL. FFL is basically a federally licensed gun dealer. Most, but not all, will accept transfers.

So if I buy a pistol from an individual in my state, no FFL is required. If I buy from a dealer or individual in, say, Florida, an FFL transfer is required. Even if the Florida resident was present in my state, it would still need to go through an FFL. There are a few exceptions, but that's the general rule.

I'll also second going with Glock or S&W if you want a striker fired pistol. Quality, aftermarket support (holsters, cheap spare magazines, recoil springs, sights, etc.), and durability will be much better then the budget offerings.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    An FFL is not required for an in-state, face to face, person to person transfer. You don't need a background check or FFL if you buy a gun from your buddy or some local dude on Armslist.com. BTW, this is what The Media is referring to when they use the term "Gun Show Loophole."

A individual or retail seller cannot ship directly to you. They have to ship the gun to your FFL. When the gun arrives, you'll go down to the FFL and fill out an background check form (ATF form 4473) the same way you would if you bought the gun directly from that FFL. It's a pretty straight forward process and does not "register" the gun with the state.

Assuming no hickups in the background check, it probably takes 20 minutes.
    FWIW, my dumpy little pawn show charges $20 cash per form (doesn't matter if it's one gun or five), several bucks extra for credit cards.
    Great!
    I see the 2.0 compact on sale in the site you linked but length wise it's just .1" shorter than non compact version.
    Lots of things to consider and lots of information to go through.

Great!
    I see the 2.0 compact on sale in the site you linked but length wise it's just .1" shorter than non compact version.
    Lots of things to consider and lots of information to go through.
    Keep in mind CO's 15 round magazine restriction.
    David S.

User Tag List