Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

My only addition is do a bit of research and don’t cheap out on the safe. Ive seen a couple Youtube videos of kids breaking into them.

Also, remove the little barriers to YOU using it. I’m lazy, so I’ve found that I have to place it in a very convenient spot for me or I won’t use it. My handgun safe is at eye level in my closet, making just as convenient as my nightstand. The internet will probably tell you that dial are more robust (blah blah EMP blah blah) than electronic keypads. That’s probably very true but I’ve found myself too lazy to use dial locks for daily use.

Maybe that all makes me a bad gun owner. I’d like to think I’m designing failsafes around my limitations.

Just done thoughts from a guy with a couple curious little ones.
    Last edited by David S.; 02-11-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    David S.

Site Supporter

The NSSF and Project Childsafe have good materials.

To the already excellent advice given, all I can add is to make sure your better half is part of the process. He/she doesn't necessarily need to participate in the shooting aspect (though it's a great idea to do so), but should absolutely be 100% competent in terms of safe handling and storage in the event they need to handle/secure the firearm.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

When my kids were small, the firearm was either on me or it locked in the safe. Now that they are older, and I have taught them not only firearm safety but proficiency, I have no problem leaving one on the nightstand because they would not hesitate to grab it and use it to defend themselves or their mom.

The best way to teach them gun safety is to take them shooting early. I started with a single shot 22 rifle when they were around 6, graduated to a semi 22 around 8 or so, then a 22 pistol at about 12, then when they were ready and asked me, we moved up to centerfire pistol.... around 14 now the boy shoots comps with his own glock 19 and the girl while not shooting comps, goes shooting with me often.

A cheap home depot/lowes safe will work great for now until the kids get educated and you get more confident.

Do not be scared. If you want real fear, wait until they become teenagers and start driving and dating
    Last edited by eb07; 02-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Is a small gun safe good idea to safe keep the guns.
    I don't think I'll have more than couple of handguns, well at least not planned.
    Thanks for info.
    You are being extremely smart by thinking about these things. The only thing I have to add to what everyone else has already said is a personal experience:

About a decade ago I bought an extremely oversized gun safe, because due to legal requirements for safe storage it was the easiest way. Felt that the safe was really unnecessarily large for me - and it was, for a long while. Lately though, it has grown rather small...

If firearms are a hobby or an interest to you, you will accumulate more of them than you would believe at this point.

(There is, of course, nothing wrong with getting a small safe now and a larger one later.)

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions.
    You know I registered in another handgun forum before I found this and my account is not even approved there yet and here, we have 2 pages replies already.
    Active forum is the only way to get answers timely.

I'll go through the articles and videos, I've already watched many but the more the better.
    I come from a family where no one ever owned a gun so it's a big deal to have it in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    How small are your kids?
    Advice may differ with age.
    5 and 3 and they do bang bang with toy guns to each other and to us so you can imagine why I'm scared.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hi Mystery,

Where are you located?

I have a brand new, in box AMSEC Hide-Away-Safe. It's enough to fit 1, maybe 2 pistols depending on size. It's one of the best built handgun safes on the market, retails at about $250, is built with very thick steel (thicker than most full-size gun safes), a top quality mechanical Simplex lock, and lacks any of the faults that plague most cheap box-store pistol lock boxes.

Simply by virtue of the first question/post you ever made on this forum, you're in the running for member of the year and I'm feeling generous. If you're local to the Northern Virginia area, it's yours.

If that's not an option, anything made by AMSEC and Fort Knox is usually of superlative quality. On the other end of the spectrum, most anything you buy in a big-box store has lots of vulnerabilities, though the companies in the cheap-safe market have gotten a little better over the last few years with testers exposing their products' weaknesses.

ETA: Oh, and if you end up buying something, always buy bigger than what you're planning to need. You're only thinking of buying one gun, maybe two...sure, just wait. Everybody will go through a phase of collecting (some longer than others), but even if you slim down you'll likely still end up with 3-5 guns. Nothing wrong with getting a starter for now, though, even if it's a wafer equipped lock box to keep the gun secured safely from little kids.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm way too far in Denver, Colorado.
    I'll check local shops after looking at online reviews.

Now another question:
    What should I buy?
    I'm planning on buying one in a month or two.
    The CCW instructor suggests getting 9mm and swears by his Bersa BP9 and Glock 17/19/43.
    He also said the cheapest Hi-Point is pretty decent.

I see great reviews on the cheap Taurus 9mm.
    I know it's like opening can of worms but just thought of asking if something stands out in the budget range.

Thanks all for calming my nerve down.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    You are being extremely smart by thinking about these things. The only thing I have to add to what everyone else has already said is a personal experience:

About a decade ago I bought an extremely oversized gun safe, because due to legal requirements for safe storage it was the easiest way. Felt that the safe was really unnecessarily large for me - and it was, for a long while. Lately though, it has grown rather small...

If firearms are a hobby or an interest to you, you will accumulate more of them than you would believe at this point.

(There is, of course, nothing wrong with getting a small safe now and a larger one later.)
    Haha... I know how the GAS goes.
    I started learning guitar and withing a year, I had over a dozen guitars.

I even bought one of these, just so I wasn't opening the big safe all the time:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I am sure there are a lotta flaws from a safe standpoint, but it might be a start point for you.

I've got two rugrats at home, a 4-year-old and a 3-month-old. Every weapon, magazine, and box of ammo I own (except one) is locked in a Liberty Fatboy that I framed into the wall in my basement. The other is my CCW and it gets locked in a V-Line Brute which is lag bolted to the top of my nightstand. The Liberty has the S&G electronic lock, and the V-Line has a simplex lock. If one of my guns is not on my person, it is locked in a safe. I'm pretty sure they are as secure as they are going to get living where I do. However, I am a firm believer that educating kids is just as, if not more important, than physically securing them. All guns are loaded, all guns are dangerous, we never touch a gun (toy or otherwise) unless Dad tells us it's ok, we don't talk about Dad's guns outside of this house. When the 4-year-old is a bit older we'll start with actual gun safety. For now, I'm just trying to take the intrigue and temptation out of it.

Back on track: for a small pistol safe, anything that says AMSEC, Fort Knox, or V-Line is good to go. I picked the V-Line just because it matched the black nightstand better and I was trying to keep my wife reasonably happy.

User Tag List