Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm new to guns.
    Mystery, given that others have already chimed in with all the brands, books, philosophies, and advice I would have offered, I’ll just chime in to wlecome you to P-F. As you may be noticing, this is a *great* place to get genuine expert answers to questions. Please feel encouraged to keep asking yours, as your first question was solid.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I just want to add my warm welcome from Tampa Florida.

A lot of good advice here.

I was wondering:

What do ya'll think of doing a "practice run" for x weeks/months with an airsoft pistol before introducing a real firearm? A practice piece to ingrain the habit of always locking it up; and in case you accidentally leave it out, an object that would not cause grave bodily harm or death.
    Last edited by Jay585; 02-12-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    A lot of good advice here.

I was wondering:

What do ya'll think of doing a "practice run" for x weeks/months with an airsoft pistol before introducing a real firearm? A practice piece to ingrain the habit of always locking it up; and in case you accidentally leave it out, an object that would not cause grave bodily harm or death.
    This is a really good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions.
    You know I registered in another handgun forum before I found this and my account is not even approved there yet and here, we have 2 pages replies already.
    Active forum is the only way to get answers timely.

I'll go through the articles and videos, I've already watched many but the more the better.
    I come from a family where no one ever owned a gun so it's a big deal to have it in the house.

5 and 3 and they do bang bang with toy guns to each other and to us so you can imagine why I'm scared.

Thanks for the offer but I'm way too far in Denver, Colorado.
    I'll check local shops after looking at online reviews.

Now another question:
    What should I buy?
    I'm planning on buying one in a month or two.
    The CCW instructor suggests getting 9mm and swears by his Bersa BP9 and Glock 17/19/43.
    He also said the cheapest Hi-Point is pretty decent.

I see great reviews on the cheap Taurus 9mm.
    I know it's like opening can of worms but just thought of asking if something stands out in the budget range.

Thanks all for calming my nerve down.
    Bersa, Taurus, SCCY, and HiPoint: no, don’t, please.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE can be had new for under $300. Walther PPS is a smaller gun that can also be had for less than $300. If the budget isn’t quite that tight, get a GLOCK 17 or 19. Bottom line, buy a basic, quality gun.

Then don’t even look at another gun until you’ve shot 1-2k rounds through it.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.

If shipping is an option, we can make it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hi Mystery,

Where are you located?

I have a brand new, in box AMSEC Hide-Away-Safe. It's enough to fit 1, maybe 2 pistols depending on size. It's one of the best built handgun safes on the market, retails at about $250, is built with very thick steel (thicker than most full-size gun safes), a top quality mechanical Simplex lock, and lacks any of the faults that plague most cheap box-store pistol lock boxes.

Simply by virtue of the first question/post you ever made on this forum, you're in the running for member of the year and I'm feeling generous. If you're local to the Northern Virginia area, it's yours.

If that's not an option, anything made by AMSEC and Fort Knox is usually of superlative quality. On the other end of the spectrum, most anything you buy in a big-box store has lots of vulnerabilities, though the companies in the cheap-safe market have gotten a little better over the last few years with testers exposing their products' weaknesses.

ETA: Oh, and if you end up buying something, always buy bigger than what you're planning to need. You're only thinking of buying one gun, maybe two...sure, just wait. Everybody will go through a phase of collecting (some longer than others), but even if you slim down you'll likely still end up with 3-5 guns. Nothing wrong with getting a starter for now, though, even if it's a wafer equipped lock box to keep the gun secured safely from little kids.
    TGS,
    Your reply was one of the best in any forum I visited.

Thought about it again.
    I know it's a hassle but thought of asking if shipping is an option.
    I can pay for shipping handling etc.
    Regardless, thank you for your warm welcome and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

Smith & Wesson SD9VE can be had new for under $300. Walther PPS is a smaller gun that can also be had for less than $300. If the budget isn’t quite that tight, get a GLOCK 17 or 19. Bottom line, buy a basic, quality gun.

If you're looking at revolvers, I'd skip the small, 5 shot .38 Special snubnosed models (S&W 442, 642, Ruger LCR, ect). While small and light, they also are hard to shoot (heavy triggers, small sights), and have lots of recoil.

In general, smaller handguns will be light and easy to carry, but hold fewer shots, have more recoil, and can be harder to aim with.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Now another question:
    What should I buy?
    I'm planning on buying one in a month or two.
    The CCW instructor suggests getting 9mm and swears by his Bersa BP9 and Glock 17/19/43.
    He also said the cheapest Hi-Point is pretty decent.

I see great reviews on the cheap Taurus 9mm.
    I know it's like opening can of worms but just thought of asking if something stands out in the budget range.

My buddy, above, offers more solid advice. I don't think anyone here will try to talk you *out* of a 9mm Glock, with the caveat that the G43 can be a little snappy; I've owned two, and they both got sold off in favor of something else. G19, G26 or possibly one of the new G43x or G48 might make more sense, all in all. Most here *will* try to talk you out of the "budget" brands.

Another reputable and inexpensive option to look out for is the S&W Sheild, eg.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smit...ety-10035.html

Good guns. Stick with the stuff issued to many U.S. LE agencies--which isn't

FWIW.

Hard to beat a 9mm Glock, a high-quality safe, and some further training to get started. Very hard to beat, actually.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thank you for suggestions.
    I don't want very small (conceal labeled) gun. I haven't tried them but read it's hard to hold compared to compact size.

SD9VE and Glock 19 look like same size. I'll check them out.

Budget is not tight at all.
    Just budget conscious in case I don't like the gun and want to sell/trade.

Edit: Colorado has magazine restriction on 15+ rounds.
    SD9VE has 16 rounds magazine so that won't work.
    Last edited by Mystery; 02-12-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Welcome aboard!

User Tag List