Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Run your Gun Standards

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ^^^^^^Need to get some QIT targets and try this.
    Run it on a B-8 center or the 8" circle of the IDPA. Takes out the slop shots and such. This one does move along quickly.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I enjoyed your video. I always like to see what other people do and see as a challenge. I'll have to give it a try. Personally I would just call it the "Run your mouth standards..." Y'know, like ok, you can talk, now can you shoot...and have them do this...
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Run it on a B-8 center or the 8" circle of the IDPA. Takes out the slop shots and such. This one does move along quickly.
    Printed out and stuck in my range notebook. I'll run this the next time I go to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'll just pile on here and say that ANY of the popular LE qualification targets are too big. They are intended to get the standard mediocre to poor LE shooter across the qualification finish line where their pizza and trophy for being a "winner" await. I call them "No Cop Left Behind" targets. Use the recommended repair center or a B-8, in which the 8 ring is exactly 8" (same standard as the AP center).
    We have the same problem in the USAF - our pistol qual target is this enormous target that makes a B-27 look small, and to qualify all you have to do is hit it 35 out of 45 times. That's right, you can completely miss the target 10 times and still qualify. I will say that making expert on our qual requires someone to be a marginally competent shooter, but the scoring zones are still too big and the expert criteria isn't particularly challenging for anyone at or above IDPA Sharpshooter levels of skill. Word on the street is they're changing the qual when the M18 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    A civilian would have trouble justifying a 10 yard shot as self defense.
    Someone is 15 yards away and closing, gun or knife in hand, telling me he's gonna fuck me up. Easy sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Someone is 15 yards away and closing, gun or knife in hand, telling me he's gonna fuck me up. Easy sell.
    Yep, but not at all a common civilian self defense situation. There will always be outliers and anomalies.
    Real guns have hammers.

Yep, but not at all a common civilian self defense situation. There will always be outliers and anomalies.
    How do you know what's common and what's not? Come now....

Every single shooting is a universe unto itself and has to be judged on its own merits and context.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-18-2019 at 06:22 PM.

OK, maybe John Murphy or Tom Givens or BehindBlueI or another real SME can weigh in on an “average” engagement range for a self defense situation.
    Last edited by Tom Duffy; 02-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Real guns have hammers.

OK, maybe John Murphy or Tom Givens or BehindBlueI or another real SME can weigh in on an “average” engagement range for a self defense situation.
    Why would I care about the average? I care about the difficult one, the outliers. If I cared about the average I wouldn't even bother carrying a gun in the first place. I'm nearly 53 and haven't needed one yet, and the overwhelming majority of people in this country won't ever need one in their life.

To bring this back around to your original point, why train for the average shot or the average distance? Train to the higher standard. To the difficult, tight, long shots. And then the average shot looks much easier.

Don't need an SME to see that.

Congratulations! You’re the first person to ever make my ignore list.
    Real guns have hammers.

User Tag List