Thread: Rx shooting glasses w/ high astigmatism?

Site Supporter

Rx shooting glasses w/ high astigmatism?

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a new set of Rx shooting glasses. I still use an old pair of Randolph glasses I got many years ago when first starting out in shotgunning. Now that my shooting hobby encompasses pistol, rifle, and shotgun I'd like to get a versatile pair. I'm due to see my optometrist soon, but thought I'd check in here to see what you guys might recommend. I have pretty high astigmatism (+4.25 cylinder), so my doctor always recommends the lenses in my everyday glasses be as small and flat as possible. But that makes shooting rifles difficult since you're often looking out of the top/cover of the lens rather than straight out. This also makes getting Rx shooting glasses a bit hard because the wrap-around types are so popular and give great protection. Does anyone else with high astigmatism use Rx shooting glasses? If so, what specific makes or models would you recommend? Thanks for your time.

Chris

You really should see Dr Rively. He lives in Central PA somewhere and is the expert on shooting glasses.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hooting-Sports
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I don't know what my astigmatism is, but from the way my optometrist talked it's pretty bad and different in both eyes. I just wear my prescription glasses. They are shaped like aviators. I have side shields for them when I shoot. I use my daily wear for rifles and shotguns and I have a set with the master eye focused at the front sight for handguns. I can see my handgun sights pretty well with my daily wear but use the special ones for competition.

My wife has bad astigmatism (3 something cylinder IIRC, plus some other vision issues stemming from her brain surgery last year) but she's had good luck with prescription safety glasses from Marvel Optics. They look like normal glasses but are ANSI rated amd have side shields. They even have the auto-darkening lenses. She uses them all day.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I have astigmatism too, I usually see 3 front sights without glasses. I just had a new prescription filled with left eye for distance and right eye for 21". It felt weird when I put the glasses on the first time buy your eyes adjust pretty quickly, I love them now. Mine where by Rudy Project, Rydon Shooting Glasses. Wait for them to go on sale, I got mine for a 50%.
    Last edited by Street Survival; 02-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.

User Tag List