Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mould for my 35 Whelen

Site Supporter
    I am intrigued. I have a family heirloom 1903 sporterized, that was built in a different era to spec's that are really not helpful. I keep telling myself that when I get it rebuilt before passing it on to my kids that I want to have it rebarreled in 35 Whelen AI, and use it for elk and moose. This opens up options, bringing back the original momometal bullets.

Thanks

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I am intrigued. I have a family heirloom 1903 sporterized, that was built in a different era to spec's that are really not helpful. I keep telling myself that when I get it rebuilt before passing it on to my kids that I want to have it rebarreled in 35 Whelen AI, and use it for elk and moose. This opens up options, bringing back the original momometal bullets.

Thanks

pat
    Rather than re-barreling, you could have it re-bored. JES Reboring does that for quite reasonable prices and the feedback I've seen has been great. In many cases, it's cheaper than a barrel purchase. It also lets you keep the current barrel (could be important in an heirloom gun).

Also, based on my reading, the AI version isn't all that great of an improvement due to the standard 35 Whelen shoulder. It provides something like 5% extra volume at best, which can be overcome by more modern powders. It seems the consensus is to stick with the standard 35 Whelen chamber.

Chris

User Tag List