Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request for Information

Request for Information

Sirs,

Being increasingly paleo (I will be a septuagenarian in short order) I am not nearly as current with all of the different brands and models that are now extant. I have been using Glocks since the mid 80's first generations, and still use them. As time goes on I find myself desiring a manual safety as a form of redundancy in my advancing decrepitude. (I am still mostly fit; I knock out a 2 hour workout 6x's per week, but the calendar does not give a rat's grommet. Rust never sleeps.) My current EDC is a Glock Gen4 cut down to a 19 grip.

I am trying to determine what models of 9mm striker-fired pistols are available with ambi manual safety's, (preferably with some similarity to the 1911 style).

(I would prefer something in a Glock 19 size. Barrel length is mostly inconsequential for concealment for my purposes since the barrel rests in the longitudinal axis.)

Thanks in advance for any help

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post

(I would prefer something in a Glock 19 size.
    M&P 2.0 compact would seem like a good fit.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-S-amp-W-s-G19
    Last edited by idahojess; 02-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    M&P 2.0 compact would seem like a good fit.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-S-amp-W-s-G19
    Beat me to it, so I'll second this advice.

Just saw on Instagram the Beretta APX is coming out with a manual safety. The P365 is coming out with a manual safety soon. The P320 has an available manual safety. Ruger American Pistol. M&P Shield. Massachusetts legal Kahrs. EC9S. FNS-9.

All the above pistols are available with manual safeties, most ambi and 1911 style but not necessarily all.

My first and favorite choice is the M&P 2.0 compact. I wish the safety was more positive but at least it's there.

Have you considered a Gadget for your Glock?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Just saw on Instagram the Beretta APX is coming out with a manual safety. The P365 is coming out with a manual safety soon. The P320 has an available manual safety. Ruger American Pistol. M&P Shield. Massachusetts legal Kahrs. EC9S. FNS-9.

All the above pistols are available with manual safeties, most ambi and 1911 style but not necessarily all.
    Seems like eventually every striker fired pistol will have one, except Glock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post

Can you post the pic or a link?

I googled but didn’t get any results for an instagram pic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Can you post the pic or a link?

I googled but didn’t get any results for an instagram pic.
    Beretta's official page

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtmJAVEA...=1b6jqe03kpdd6
    Name:  Screenshot_20190209-082254_Instagram.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  39.3 KB
    Last edited by ChaseN; 02-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Thank you gentlemen for your generous replies.

Regarding the S&W (not trying to be Goldilocks regarding the provided information), I have some, albeit negative, experience with the M&P original release. During the initial roll-out I had an M&P 45 (manual safety) that I really wanted to enjoy, but it was never ready for prime time. The dead-trigger experience was unsettling since it would occur intermittently with zero warning like Jack- -in-the-Box. (How many turns on the crank before Jack wakes up?) The manual safety was functional but disappointing (from my experience with 1911's), instead of crisp and definitive it was like the soggy heel of a bread loaf. The molasses slow response from S&W customer service/repair (that was back then, in all fairness, I have no idea what its like today) was a final not-so-good experience with S&W.

While awaiting your responses I have been trying to research the Sig 320 (Compact version). There seems to be a significant amount of negativity regarding Sig business practices and the early production. Does current Sig (320 variants) production now meet reasonable reliability and safety standards?

I have considered the "Gadget" for my Glocks, and have zero criticism of the device (it is very good at what it is designed to do), but I really desire more than just a tell-tale; I want a positive safety that requires deliberate release.

The Beretta APX with the MS looks very intriguing. I will be watching for that.

So, I think that my followup questions are:

Is if there is a general consensus of the forum cognoscenti regarding the Sig 320 and the Beretta APX?

Does the H&K VP9SK have a variant with a manual safety?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Does the H&K VP9SK have a variant with a manual safety?
    Not in the US

User Tag List