Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I miss a memo?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    You could have gotten a head start on it, like I did, about 40 years ago...

Now I'm wondering if gun clubs are worse than amateur radio clubs...
    Sort of like Club G.R.O.S.S.?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned
    When I was in the 7th grade I was walking down the street one night with some friends of mine. Someone drove by us in a car and one of my friends made some smart ass comment to the driver.

The people in the car turned around and chased us down. Everyone but my smart assed friend got away. When we found hime he was lying in a puddle of blood and teeth. He said the driver caught up with him, got out of the car and hit him in the face with a tire iron. Then he got back in the car and drove away. According to my friend the driver never said a word.

That lesson stayed with me my whole life, I don't trifle with people I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was asked to be VP of our gun club. I said: Hell, NO!

That was a great move on my part. It was an IDPA/IPSC club. The divisions were at war with each other.
    About twenty years ago I watched two grown men at a match get into a screaming match about some niggling point of the rules. I decided I didn't want to be around people who couldn't control their emotions, but had access to firearms, and left.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Some older folks have orbitofrontal cortex injury from microvascular disease and strokes. This area controls emotional inhibition. A couple of years ago, a geezer snapped and killed a couple of people during a civil litigation deposition. He took off and then killed himself. My friend's wife used to walk by his house all the time while pushing her baby carriage. She states he was the proverbial 'get off my lawn" curmudgeon. Now I see folks like the OP old lady as both a nuisance and at the same time a possible threat. You don't have to be young to pull out a pistol from your pocket and let the devil in your damaged brain take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Some older folks have orbitofrontal cortex injury from microvascular disease and strokes. This area controls emotional inhibition. A couple of years ago, a geezer snapped and killed a couple of people during a civil litigation deposition. He took off and then killed himself. My friend's wife used to walk by his house all the time while pushing her baby carriage. She states he was the proverbial 'get off my lawn" curmudgeon. Now I see folks like the OP old lady as both a nuisance and at the same time a possible threat. You don't have to be young to pull out a pistol from your pocket and let the devil in your damaged brain take over.
    The guy that used to live across the road from us had a stroke and exhibited some pretty bizarre behavior from time to time, to the point that I had a non-trivial concern that I would wind up smoking my sexagenarian neighbor because he thought we were beaming mind control rays at him or something. Fortunately, his wife decided that living way out here with a bat shit crazy husband was too much, so they moved into town, where we saw him literally standing in the middle of traffic too long ago.

One thing I try to keep in mind is you never know who 1) didn't take their meds that day or 2) is all out of fucks and is perfectly willing to shoot you in the face over something you don't think is a big deal.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    About twenty years ago I watched two grown men at a match get into a screaming match about some niggling point of the rules. I decided I didn't want to be around people who couldn't control their emotions, but had access to firearms, and left.
    It's been a very long time since I played collectible card games, but back when Magic: The Gathering still posted the reasons why on the banned players list, nearly all of them were due to assaulting other players or even the judges.

Smoking a sexagenarian really sounds like a bad idea...especially if they are a sextaganarian.
    Last edited by TCB; 02-12-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It is sad to see folks in a restaurant asking if their favorite wait person is there. The wait person really doesn't care beyond the tip.
    That's kind of an old time thing--asking for your favorite waitperson. I had relatives in their 70s who would do that back in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Smoking a sexagenarian really sounds like a bad idea...especially if they are a sextaganarian.
    "Definition of sexagenarian
    : a person whose age is in the sixties"

I had to double check it myself...

I stand corrected. Google failed me! It still sounds bad..

User Tag List