Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Did I miss a memo?

Vending Machine Operator
    In the legal profession there are certain attorneys that thrive off being jerks and absolutely love the responses they get. Usually, not to stereotype, it's older childless single or divorced female attorneys.

My response, uniformly, is to be completely over the top sweet and friendly to them, and completely act like I don't understand all the little barbs and sarcasm.

Half of them hate me ten times more, which I find pretty amusing.

The other half completely melt and become much easier to work with.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    In the legal profession there are certain attorneys that thrive off being jerks and absolutely love the responses they get. Usually, not to stereotype, it's older childless single or divorced female attorneys.

My response, uniformly, is to be completely over the top sweet and friendly to them, and completely act like I don't understand all the little barbs and sarcasm.

Interesting. I experienced just the opposite as a female attorney practicing in the South. Almost without fail the jerks were the ones dressed most fully in god and country “common sense.” But I agree with your prescription, when possible. Of course the best thing is just to win the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post

Jurors in Miami were only too happy to stick it to badgering attorneys and their clients.

I loved nothing more as the case agent than to cross swords with some defense attorney who made the mistake of thinking he was smarter or in possession of a clearer understanding of the facts and nuances of the case.

Most female attorneys I worked with were on the prosecution side, with only a few representing the accused.

All of the jerks I can remember facing in court were men. None got their clients acquitted.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Vending Machine Operator
    My experience with jerk female attorneys may be slanted by the divorce bar.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Quite the contrary.

Let's take yesterday as an example:

At ~8:45am, I stopped for a cup off coffee outside a local donut shop. As I approached the door of the shop a vagrant began to approach me from 45-degrees. I spotted him, trying to intercept me before I got to the door of the donut shop. He started talking to me, but I immediately put him on my MUC verbal loop and side stepped off his path to bring him away from his interception path. "I don't have anything. I can't help you. Sorry."

As I side stepped he stopped, was forced to reset his path, realized he wasn't going to get anything from me and disengaged. No need to be rude or allow him inside my personal envelope.

At 12:15pm, my bride and I parked on the street in a good neighborhood and began walking down towards a restaurant we intended to eat at. Two young men at a bus stop nearby, immediately began attempting to accost us verbally. Once again, I immediately put them on a verbal MUC loop, and moved my wife away from the two men, with me in between them, but kept moving. A firm one handed fence and a, "No." as we kept moving, kept them planted at the bus stop.

As we side stepped, and the visible fence came up, they realized that they were not going to get an engagement like they intended and disengaged. Not allowed inside our personal envelope.

That's an average day out in public on the South Side of Chicago.

Heck about six months ago I was walking my dog in front of my apartment building, a guy across the street began yelling at me to go fornicate myself. I ignored him and kept walking my dog, away from him, on the other side of the street. He walked down the street and kept muttering and yelling at people. About ten minutes goes by and a herd of police cars pass me when I'm a block over. Curious, I wander in their general direction and see the same man being arrested. Turns out, he had started yelling at a concierge from a nearby hotel, they called the cops, the guy, who was high on something, started fighting the cops, got cuffed and stuffed.

That was slightly above average day for my block, but not my neighborhood.
    Much closer to normal day for those that hook up shitheads. Most people that act that way naturally or under the influence tend to give us what we need...
    But credit to where credit is due @SouthNarc...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 02-12-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Anyone who knows me will probably agree that I strive to be genuinely pleasant but it's also true that I'm pretty happy to engage in verbal tit-for-tat, partly because I really like maintaining a sharp wit and if you don't spar, you aren't in condition. But I also can't really help myself, particularly if someone is being overtly mean.

Until really recently I worked on a whole lot of commercial telecom systems, building them and fixing them. That's where most of my money comes from (not that I mean that I have a lot but that I couldn't really live on what the magazine pays). I was in the field about 90% of the time and usually by myself, but I also helped a bunch of other guys partly because I have a lot of experience and have seen most of the problems twenty times, and partly because I had a bunch of training and equipment that made it safer for me to do some of the stuff than letting other guys do it. As a result, I was often in a floating role and guys would call for me if they needed help.

I discovered last year that a lot of the calls I was getting requested on had nothing to do with weird IT issues, or concerns about inadequate grounding or foreign voltage on our gear, or confined space entry, or even the aerial work for which I'm really known. It was snarky or demeaning customers, and guys were calling for my help not to do any work, but because they wanted to see me get cutting with someone. It was a fine line to walk because I had to make sure it wasn't anything that would make sense in a complaint, but it still had to shut somebody up. On one of my last days, for example, one of the guys got sent to some grocery store to try to figure out what would be involved in putting a fibre directly into their server room to run a 3rd party wifi solution. I guess the guy in charge was being obnoxious and our guy called for my help.

When I arrived, he was being really demeaning, for sure. I mean our guy is only there because some corporate vendor to the store's parent company has been asked to give them a service; he has no control over what details have been given to the people on site. The store guy has agreed to let him in to the various rooms he needs access to, but is stopping along the way to tell every other store employee what a stupid task he's on and how this tech guy doesn't know what he's doing. I mean, that's really rude. I arrived while this was going on and it was really tough to watch. They're standing right outside the server room and this guy is just flat out telling the girl at the lottery counter how the tech doesn't know what he's doing. When I get flagged down by our tech the store boss guy starts going on about how the first guy (who is quite experienced and very good at his job) knows so little about his job that he had to call someone else to do it.

"Well," I say, "you're in charge here. I'm sure no one wants to waste your time trying to get you to pull on cables and figure out what goes where, so here I am. Any chance I can get a look in the server room there?"

"Well I don't even know why we'd want service from your company," he says, unlocking the server room door. "I would never recommend that."

"No kidding," I said. "And they didn't listen to you, even though you're the manager of a grocery store? It's almost as though they don't care what a mid-level employee of some produce chain thinks."

"Um, excuse me," he said, "I'm in charge of the store."

"I mean, you are the manager. That is your title, right? I'm just asking because I'll need that information to complete the work order."

"I'm the assistant manager."

I stepped past him into the server room and patted him on the shoulder sympathetically.

"Well," I said, "maybe one day."

I can't say I use my powers for good and I know I wouldn't have doled out a lesson to the old lady re: unsolicited opinions, not because I think it's a bad idea but because that's just not where my mind goes mid-retort.

But I probably would have said something like "well, you'll be glad I have a phone handy when you fall and break your hip".
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I don't disagree with this. However, there's a bit of a pattern with some people. They're quick to react to an old lady or some old boomer with a get off my lawn complex, yet they never seem to report any dust ups with someone their own age or size who just might push their shit in if they're feeling froggy. That's where things like this get weird for me. It's easy to pop off at someone who you perceive as low risk. It's quite another to mouth off back to someone who may rearrange your dental work.
    This reminds me of the wag observing that PETA protesters throw paint on fur coat wearing elderly women, and never bikers in leather jackets.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Cool

Reminds me of the story about the gentlemen in the airline check in line. The old lady in front of him at the counter was rudely and obnoxiously berating and yelling at the check in clerk. The airline clerk was responding to the old bat by being as polite and kind as ever in the midst of this loud verbal assault. When the big mouth finally left the counter, the gentleman stepped forward and remarked to the kind clerk about her uncanny display of cool under fire. Then he asked her how she was able to maintain such a courteous demeanor under that last customer's barrage of rudeness. The clerk leaned forward closer to the gentleman's ear and under her breath said "That women was traveling to Pittsburg, but her bags are going to Peking!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    This reminds me of the wag observing that PETA protesters throw paint on fur coat wearing elderly women, and never bikers in leather jackets.
    I don't recall ever seeing such a paint-flinging here in Texas. Of course, considering how many well-to-do ladies have a license to carry, that's likely why.

Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    Reminds me of the story about the gentlemen in the airline check in line. The old lady in front of him at the counter was rudely and obnoxiously berating and yelling at the check in clerk. The airline clerk was responding to the old bat by being as polite and kind as ever in the midst of this loud verbal assault. When the big mouth finally left the counter, the gentleman stepped forward and remarked to the kind clerk about her uncanny display of cool under fire. Then he asked her how she was able to maintain such a courteous demeanor under that last customer's barrage of rudeness. The clerk leaned forward closer to the gentleman's ear and under her breath said "That women was traveling to Pittsburg, but her bags are going to Peking!"
    I try not to piss people off who can mess up my paperwork, or wipe their ass with my hamburger bun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List