Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I miss a memo?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's kind of sad that some people have nothing else but to find something to get outraged about
    Spend some time at monthly gun club meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The old retired dudes are the worst. For 40 years they were able to escape the screeching banshee at home M-F for 12 hours a day and now the only reprieve they have is the gun club.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I perform a focal shift right past this kind of bullshit.

Side step strangers walking toward me in gas station lines, never engage anyone chattering at me etc.

Words attempted to use toward getting inside my bubble are going no where.
    These are words of wisdom which the original poster will not understand.........

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That's my wife's choice.

I myself always preferred the King of the Hill version (segment from 1:30-2:18)

https://dai.ly/x5vm9b1

___

Over the years, I've, of course, encountered lots of folks who liked to run their mouths about things, without need. This incident yesterday reminded me of my favorite incident over the years.

During my first year as a PhD student here in Chiraq, I was sitting in a class. The class was focused on evolutionary biology theory. Before class, the students were sitting around and one of my peers, a biology major in college, asked a question that was paleontological/geological in nature. I was answering his question, when a fresh grad student in geology (who had only completed her undergrad in geology a few months before) walked into the room. Upon hearing our conversation she began shaking her head and said, "Biologists explaining geology...so ridiculous."

I promptly stopped, looked over at her and said, "I'm sorry?"

"Just you know, maybe stay in your lane."

"I'm sorry, did I say something incorrect?"

"Well no. It's just you aren't a geologist..."

"Oh, so my master's in geosciences from (the name of my top-5 ranked Geosci program) means nothing?"

"I uhh...didn't know..."

"No, you didn't. If you'd known that I have more experience teaching geology than you've had studying it, you would have kept your mouth shut. So, it'd do you well to learn that lesson now, when the stakes are low, and learn to shut the fuck up when the adults are talking."

"I uhh...sorry."

And that was the last time that particular student said anything to me. It's been almost 4 years since then and I'm pretty sure she still doesn't like me. But I'd already kind of had enough of her arrogant holier-than-thou attitude and tendency to interrupt people and interject. So, a quick swat to her ego was necessary. Afterwards the three witnesses to that event said to me, "Harsh, but fair. She needed to learn to shut the fuck up."

Honestly that event and yesterday are about the only two times I can think of in the last five years where I've told someone to effectively mind their own business. I'm sure I have said it to others, but in a more charitable fashion.
    The best thing about this is that EVERYONE in the room learned that lesson.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's kind of sad that some people have nothing else but to find something to get outraged about
    I presume you are talking about the OP? It is kinda bad when you let a little old lady ruin your day with an offhand remark. Or is there someone else that claims to follow the Golden Rule but in the same thread provides examples of being nasty to folks after some perceived micro-aggression?

Maybe I missed the memo, but I guess for some nothing is too small to be outraged to the point you come to internet to complain about it.
    Last edited by BigD; 02-11-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Nevermind
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 02-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Oh hell no.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post

These are words of wisdom which the original poster will not understand.........
    Quite the contrary.

Let's take yesterday as an example:

At ~8:45am, I stopped for a cup off coffee outside a local donut shop. As I approached the door of the shop a vagrant began to approach me from 45-degrees. I spotted him, trying to intercept me before I got to the door of the donut shop. He started talking to me, but I immediately put him on my MUC verbal loop and side stepped off his path to bring him away from his interception path. "I don't have anything. I can't help you. Sorry."

As I side stepped he stopped, was forced to reset his path, realized he wasn't going to get anything from me and disengaged. No need to be rude or allow him inside my personal envelope.

At 12:15pm, my bride and I parked on the street in a good neighborhood and began walking down towards a restaurant we intended to eat at. Two young men at a bus stop nearby, immediately began attempting to accost us verbally. Once again, I immediately put them on a verbal MUC loop, and moved my wife away from the two men, with me in between them, but kept moving. A firm one handed fence and a, "No." as we kept moving, kept them planted at the bus stop.

As we side stepped, and the visible fence came up, they realized that they were not going to get an engagement like they intended and disengaged. Not allowed inside our personal envelope.

That's an average day out in public on the South Side of Chicago.

Heck about six months ago I was walking my dog in front of my apartment building, a guy across the street began yelling at me to go fornicate myself. I ignored him and kept walking my dog, away from him, on the other side of the street. He walked down the street and kept muttering and yelling at people. About ten minutes goes by and a herd of police cars pass me when I'm a block over. Curious, I wander in their general direction and see the same man being arrested. Turns out, he had started yelling at a concierge from a nearby hotel, they called the cops, the guy, who was high on something, started fighting the cops, got cuffed and stuffed.

That was slightly above average day for my block, but not my neighborhood.

Site Supporter
    I was asked to be VP of our gun club. I said: Hell, NO!

That was a great move on my part. It was an IDPA/IPSC club. The divisions were at war with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I presume you are talking about the OP? It is kinda bad when you let a little old lady ruin your day with an offhand remark. Or is there someone else that claims to follow the Golden Rule but in the same thread provides examples of being nasty to folks after some perceived micro-aggression?

Maybe I missed the memo, but I guess for some nothing is too small to be outraged to the point you come to internet to complain about it.
    There are a few things that you just have to learn to accept as the new normal; Trump tweeting stupid things, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez tweeting communist things, Adam Sandler movies not being funny post 1997, and Revolver Rob having a come apart over things most people would simply ignore and move on with life.

User Tag List