Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I miss a memo?

Did I miss a memo?

Is there a specific age threshold, after which, you can just say whatever you want and then get offended if you generate a response? I must be at that age, where I am young enough to incite anger by my mere presence, but old enough, I shouldn’t say anything, but I’m actually too old, to be polite to rude people anymore.

Example: Today I was walking into Petsmart to get my dog from a grooming appointment. As I walked in, well clear of any other foot traffic, I felt my phone buzz. Knowing my wife is sick at home, I stopped to check it. As I did, an elderly woman, probably in her mid-to-late 70s looked at me, shook her head and said, “You people and your damn phones.”

To which I promptly replied, “You people and your unsolicited damn opinions.”

The woman gasped and said, “Well I never...”

I promptly cut her off, “No you didn’t.” And walked away.

I’m sure she thinks I’m the rudest person on the planet, but seriously, I was six feet from her, standing off to the side, out of the way and her way.

Whatever happened to, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all? I was taught that and the golden rule, which I view as complimentary.

Site Supporter
    She was just being an asshole and is used to getting away with it due to her age and sex. Good comeback on your part.

FWIW, I'm 67.

Bravo!

Sadly, some people just get a thrill out of being mean & nasty to other people.

One case that happened to me (I may have told it here before). I was at a Goodwill, and found a copy of Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror". A great book, and I was in line waiting to buy it, so I could happily sit down and read while the family looked at everything in the store.
    It happened I was in line behind a rather bitter and unpleasant older woman who was being nasty to the clerk (a younger Hispanic lady). The clerk, who could do nothing else for Ms. Bitterness, went ahead and checked me out. Bitter lady threw a hissy fit about "serving a MAN first" and yadda yadda yadda. I just said "I'm just wanting to buy a book", and went outside to read it- and the bitter ranting continued.

However, the next lady in line happened to be my Polish/Hungarian mom. I did not hear the exchange, but bitter angry woman left the store like a scalded cat.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I perform a focal shift right past this kind of bullshit.

Side step strangers walking toward me in gas station lines, never engage anyone chattering at me etc.

Words attempted to use toward getting inside my bubble are going no where.
    Last edited by Duke; 02-10-2019 at 09:08 PM.

More clever than "bitch please", so I approve.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-10-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Some senior citizens seem to think the old saying “respect your elders” entitles them to say whatever they want because they’ve paid their dues in life.

And then some people are just assholes who’ve yet to buck up on the wrong person.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Another story. Back during the 2012 Florida Republican Presidential Primary, I was working at the polls.
    An old woman came in, and demanded a ballot. When told that as she wasn't a Republican, she could not vote in the state of Florida, she threw a rather loud fit and stormed off in a huff.
    According to the lady running the precinct, that woman pretty much did that every single election.

It's kind of sad that some people have nothing else but to find something to get outraged about
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

That old biddy deserved exactly what she got in that exchange. Expecting to let her nasty inner monologue out through her mouth and not get a snappy response was unrealistic at best.

I have two assholes in my extended family and they both have not an ounce of self awareness or introspection. I've witnessed and been told stories where their mouths got them into trouble. They are always utterly baffled why the other person responded the way they did.

Chances are she's always been like that. But as a trend I've observed the older men get the more to tend to keep it to themselves, but older women tend to grow more outspoken.

Good comeback.

User Tag List