Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

Funny how things change. In the 90’s, polymer strikers were new and unproven, soldier and LE had DA/SA metal guns, and enthusiasts mostly shot a 1911. Twenty years later, strikers own LE/military, many enthusiasts shoot a metal DA/SA and the 1911, excepting the 2011, is approaching curiosity status.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    we're really arguing semantics here. The only SF ignition pistol, that I know of, that you could decock was the Walther P99. (I may be wrong because decockable SF-ignition pistols weren't generally popular.)

I'm 99% sure that everyone here assumes DA/SA refers to a hammer-fired system... There are some nuanced discussions that come up regarding "fully tensioned" (HK/Modern Walthers) vs "slack" (GLOCK, Kahr) SF systems, which is an interesting discussion really...
    It's not about semantics, it's about the confusion it creates. It's like asking "Should I get a manual transmission, fuel injection or all wheel drive?" It makes the brain hurt.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Technically some of the Canik pistols are SFA that can be decocked (because they’re basically Turkish clones of the P99), but yeah, not too many others. I think the APX has a “decock” button, but it’s primary function is to be able to do a field strip without having to press the trigger.

The vast majority of TDA vs SFA discussions basically boil down to Beretta/CZ vs Glock. Obviously there’s tons of idiosyncrasies there where in some corner of the world two people are arguing over Lionheart LH9 vs Canik TP9DA because: reasons. I think for the sake of this discussion it’s essentially “I can see a hammer and what it does and that first press takes a little more effort” vs “I see a round butt and have to just know what condition my pistol is in”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I tried the Canik TP9DA about 3 months ago to see if I would like a DA/SA striker fired pistol as a lighter weight carry alternative to a 92. It's confusing when looking for a Canik that is DA/SA, because there are numerous models with a decocker, but not all of them are DA/SA (some are typical fully tensioned SFA but have huge decocker paddles probably for field stripping). You cannot rest on the hammer when holstering, but there is an indicator at the rear of the slide so you can see if the striker is starting to move (so you'd have to retrain to not hold your thumb on the rear of the slide if you want to see it). The position of the decocking button/paddle would likely make it impossible to mill for an optic. It also, despite being shorter in barrel length and lighter, is harder to conceal than a 92. I decided to stay with the 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Aside from that, I think the ability to build a more robust scope, due to not having the same weight and size restriction, makes for a better built more reliable optic. My open gun has had the same CMore on it for 20 years.
    "CMORE" and "reliable optic" in the same sentence is like asking Siri to divide by zero...

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's not about semantics, it's about the confusion it creates.
    DA/SA is universally understood to mean: a pistol with a hammer that fires the first shot as double action and all subsequent shots as single action, until it's decocked.

If there is a DA/SA striker fired pistol, it's not a very popular one and doesn't change the common usage of the term.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 04-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    DA/SA is universally understood to mean: a pistol with a hammer that fires the first shot as double action and all subsequent shots as single action, until it's decocked.

If there is a DA/SA striker fired pistol, it's not a very popular one and doesn't change the common usage of the term.
    "Gimme that clip over there, homie!" - I'm sure a 1945 GI in Europe might not get what Enrique from East LA means by that, but that seems to be where this argument is kinda headed.

Site Supporter
    Walther P99AS is DA/SA, and striker fired. Whatever the crappy Canik copy of it is, supposedly has the same mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Walther P99AS is DA/SA, and striker fired. Whatever the crappy Canik copy of it is, supposedly has the same mechanism.
    I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it as crappy. It's not expensive, but it seems to be well made. Came out of the box with Warren sights. I have not had any issues with mine yet, but it is still pretty early.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You know what anyone means when they say DA/SA. I know it, and so does pretty much everyone else except one guy.
    Make that two guys. My "small" carry gun is a P99C.

DA/SA. I know it when I see it rule definitely applies.

The vast majority of gun owners arent going to differentiate between ignition type and trigger type. Most don't know what a firing sequence is. Most dont even know what an action type is.

Among informed shooters (like most pf posters) its still a small segment that would think of strikers when thinking of DA/SA.

About the topic at hand... i cant think of anything for 2019 that hasnt been said by @Dagga Boy in the past. A dozen times.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 04-03-2019 at 05:44 PM.

User Tag List