Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Nope. Been running ARs and 1911s since the beginning. Never missed the safety or forget to safe before hanging or holstering.

I don't think a DA/SA is complicated, I adds complexity for no benefit.

I was in a high stress shooting with a DA/SA and the transition to the SA part threw me. Got rid of it ricky-tick after ten years of it and went SAO. Some people like two radically different trigger pulls on the same pistol, I think it's tom-foolery. One or the other.

M2, would you be willing to go into more detail on the shooting and transition? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

Full disclosure: I have a safe stuffed full of Glocks. I shoot them better than my Berettas, with more consistency. However in analyzing the full spectrum of firearm use I find added comfort in a zero-energy trigger system.

This is a conclusion I have reached for myself. I will only have an inert firing pin AIWB. It's just a thing for me. No experience or data driving me to it. It's a mental thing. I like Glocks too.

On paper, HK LEM seems like the strongest contender for my carry wants. There's a USP 9C/LEM on armslist, and I'm selling two guns later today that cover the price. Or just go back to one of my Glock 19s and ignore the boogeyman in my head.
    Last edited by UniSol; 02-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Basically my brain was still in DA mode but the trigger was in SA and it resulted in the second and third shot going off before I made a conscious decision to shoot. I did decock before coming off target.

I considered myself very proficient with TDA with plenty of formal training, a few years of competition, and lots of range time.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Basically my brain was still in DA mode but the trigger was in SA and it resulted in the second and third shot going off before I made a conscious decision to shoot. I did decock before coming off target.

I considered myself very proficient with TDA with plenty of formal training, a few years of competition, and lots of range time.
    Interesting. Thank you.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm capable of having an AD. Not sure where this comment derives from...but as a human I'm supremely fallible.
    You and me both. The comment came from your assertion that "My decision to go all in on DA/SA was less about layers of protection against UD , but mechanical defects.

That implies (and it's just an implication) that you placed a hypothetical concern (the possibility of a gun going off because of a defect in the fire control mechanism) above a validated concern (people set guns off unintentionally), which I thought was interesting.

My decision to go all in on DA/SA was less about layers of protection against UD , but mechanical defects.

My preferred SFA is a Glock...so what happens if Glock has a bad run of parts and it leads to the sear disengaging, or if the blind firing pin block gets stuck, or the spring is weak...etc,

When compared to a 92 at least, there is a "zero energy" trigger and a plethora of other indirect safety features.
    "Zero energy" is a very good point. Look at what happens when a striker gun goes bad:
    (the video of testing is very disturbing...I think I have a few more grey hairs just from watching it):

https://foxbaltimore.com/features/op...police-weapons

It's not an indictment of all SFA pistols but, really, this should not be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    This is a conclusion I have reached for myself. I will only have an inert firing pin AIWB. It's just a thing for me. No experience or data driving me to it. It's a mental thing. I like Glocks too.

On paper, HK LEM seems like the strongest contender for my carry wants. There's a USP 9C/LEM on armslist, and I'm selling two guns later today that cover the price. Or just go back to one of my Glock 19s and ignore the boogeyman in my head.
    Doesn't the LEM have a precocked internal hammer when at rest? That seems more glock-like and less like an inert/zero energy system.

Additionally, for guns like Berettas that fully decock the hammer, if you run them with no safety, aren't you just relying on the firing pin block to prevent an impact to the hammer from setting it off? I'm not sure how that's practically better than a glock either.

Disclaimer: I know this thread's more or less in the existential weeds, but I'm enjoying the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post

Additionally, for guns like Berettas that fully decock the hammer, if you run them with no safety, aren't you just relying on the firing pin block to prevent an impact to the hammer from setting it off? I'm not sure how that's practically better than a glock either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Doesn't the LEM have a precocked internal hammer when at rest? That seems more glock-like and less like an inert/zero energy system.
    This is correct, but without the external hammer, the LEM internal hammer portion does not have the ability or enough momentum to strike the firing pin with any significant force.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    https://youtu.be/9aQ_YNd35zk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Presumably, that gun has a normal, working firing pin block, which is why it won't fire when the fully-lowered hammer is impacted.

My point is, if you're carrying a DA beretta without the safety on, you're relying on the firing pin block. Why would you not then trust the firing pin block to do the same in a striker-fired gun?

User Tag List