Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    There are also some extremely credentialed professionals on the forum here who may be able more authoritatively chime in.
    As long as their credentials include doctorates in the scientific fields that study human learning, I'm all ears.

Site Supporter
    First shot accuracy is why I preferred SFA's for many years.

This is my thought process moving to DA/SA Berettas:

After learning more about the mechanics of the system, then the giant goat-fuck 320 disaster happens, I started to question if I should switch.

My decision to go all in on DA/SA was less about layers of protection against UD , but mechanical defects.

My preferred SFA is a Glock...so what happens if Glock has a bad run of parts and it leads to the sear disengaging, or if the blind firing pin block gets stuck, or the spring is weak...etc,

When compared to a 92 at least, there is a "zero energy" trigger and a plethora of other indirect safety features.

I can't afford an ND and unpaid time off work.

I am working through perfecting the DA pull and paying my training tax. It gets a bit better every range session.

On the childish side...I enjoy going to range with 92s. The looks on people's face when an 8" handgun comes out of the range bag is fucking priceless. My inner hipster is satisfied.
    Last edited by fixer; 02-11-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I am working through perfecting the DA pull and paying my training tax. It gets a bit better every range session.
    Dry fire is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by fixer;843951.

My decision to go all in on DA/SA was less about layers of protection against UD , [B
    but mechanical defects.
    [/B]
    My preferred SFA is a Glock...so what happens if Glock has a bad run of parts and it leads to the sear disengaging, or if the blind firing pin block gets stuck, or the spring is weak...etc,.
    How often has a defect cause a Glock pistol to fire? How often have people had accidental discharges with them that might have been prevented by the habit of riding the hammer?

I don’t like Glocks or feel that they’re particularly safe out of the box (I do carry them with an SCD) but your reasoning seems specious. It sounds a lot like you don’t want to admit that you could have an AD.

Someone who /can/ admit that wants as many layers of safety as they can get without severely compromising the use of the pistol.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    First shot accuracy is why I preferred SFA's for many years.

This is my thought process moving to DA/SA Berettas:

After learning more about the mechanics of the system, then the giant goat-fuck 320 disaster happens, I started to question if I should switch.

My decision to go all in on DA/SA was less about layers of protection against UD , but mechanical defects.

My preferred SFA is a Glock...so what happens if Glock has a bad run of parts and it leads to the sear disengaging, or if the blind firing pin block gets stuck, or the spring is weak...etc,

When compared to a 92 at least, there is a "zero energy" trigger and a plethora of other indirect safety features.

I can't afford an ND and unpaid time off work.

On the childish side...I enjoy going to range with 92s. The looks on people's face when an 8" handgun comes out of the range bag is fucking priceless. My inner hipster is satisfied.
    I've been shooting a DA/SA for sometime now. I don't find the transition to be difficult or even something I think about. The first DA pull can be a factor and when I take new shooters out they often have trouble with the long travel and weight [I have D springs in both 92's]. For me staying proficient with a DA revolver is a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    We’ve been here before...

DB’s Diatribe On Triggers

General Thoughts On DA/SA Triggers

Put me in the camp of hammer-fired, more aptly DA/SA or LEM, having significant safety advantages over SFA designs.
    and this one

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-consequences

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    ... at least you get lower hit probability on the first shot.
    Has not been my experience. With similar amounts of practice, I see no significant difference on things like FAST, Find your Level, etc. between P226 and Glock 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Legitimate question for those who say DA/SA is too complicated. Do you have an AR15? If so, why? Don't you think you could forget to engage the safety and sling around a cocked rifle with not even a drop safety?
    Well, I'm not one who says it's too complicated but it's certainly possible to forget a safety. And in both directions, pulling a dead trigger because the safety is on or slinging an off-safe weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    As long as their credentials include doctorates in the scientific fields that study human learning, I'm all ears.
    The book "Talent is Overrated" might be of interest to you. https://www.amazon.com/Talent-Overra.../dp/1591842948

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    How often has a defect cause a Glock pistol to fire? How often have people had accidental discharges with them that might have been prevented by the habit of riding the hammer?
    I have literally never dealt with a case where a STOCK Glock fired due to a defect. However I've dealt with quite a few that riding a hammer (or equivalent) would have prevented. Also at least one discharge in a hooded duty holster a hammer would have prevented.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That’s another great one, not sure how I missed it!

My biggest takeaway from the entirety of the discussions on the topic is as follows:

Any gun that’s easy to shoot, can be easily shot unintentionally. With all the focus on shorter and lighter triggers, we tend to forget humans are good at fucking up under even minor amounts of stress. There’s been plenty of individuals here who have talked about “trigger checking” being done by even some high-speed folks during a situation where there’s an imminent possibility of needing to shoot something. Which trigger statements are more forgiving or will provide more tactile feedback of you being on them a bit too soon?

Not to mention the additional safety benefit when holstering. How many times has a foreign object gotten in the holster for a SFA weapon and caused a loud noise? Yeah pay attention while holstering and all that but have you ever heard of Murphy’s Law? Sometimes stuff happens.

When did increased safety regarding firearms become so taboo or otherwise uncool?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Across 28 years, every single ND in my department was caused by the same exact thing: pulling the trigger.

We had a plethora of guns, SIG, Glock, HK, S&W(autos and revolvers), Springfield Armory you name it.

The officer's never could quite articulate why they pulled the trigger...

The only thing I am willing to say with 100 percent certainty is nobody ever wins an internet argument.

When you look at aircraft crashes, a very high percentage, as in 80 percent or more, come from pilot error, and the balance come from mechanical causes. Generally there is an accident chain, with more than one mistake required to result in an accident.

In flying, we literally rely on the machine working to keep us in the air. In shooting, we can stop at any moment, so my guess is shooter error accounts for an even higher percentage of accidents than in flying. We have had discussion on the theoretical safety of various platforms, but my belief is that shooter behavior is where most of the opportunity is to prevent accidents. Accidents generally require more than one error, with a rule 2 violation one of them, to result in a bullet injuring someone.

One of the things I love about hammer guns, is being able to place my thumb on the hammer when holstering. However, observing shooters at USPSA matches, I can’t remember the last time I saw a shooter holster a DA/SA, with a thumb on their hammer after the make ready command. Some would say that just may be gamers. Consider that Mike Pannone is considered one of the top trainers, with a specialty for concealed carry, and a long association with the P07 as his EDC gun. Watch this video, and he neither places his thumb on the hammer when holstering, or mentions it as a desired technique.

Aside from me, and the two dozen posters on PF that carry a DA/SA for EDC, wonder what the percentage of the greater universe of DA/SA owners knows to thumb their hammer, and actually does it? My own belief is that the availability of kydex holsters, molded to a particular model pistol with a covered trigger guard has done more to improve safety than any hammer, gadget, etc. If we could get people to use a proper holster, and not cover themselves with their muzzle when they draw and holster, we could probably go a long way to reduce gun accidents.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List