Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

If he liked your 250 I wonder what he'd say about a DAK.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I phoned Beretta USA and asked them about future plans to release an APX with a safety. Response: Nope. My brain will not allow me to carry a SFA without a safety AIWB. I'm not missing out on anything as the PX4 Compact Carry fills the role very nicely.
    They might not release an APX with a safety, but they have already released a kit for you to convert your APX to a frame-mounted manual safety version. So now you can have your APX both ways. But you're already rocking the Px4 Compact Carry, so...*shrug*.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    They might not release an APX with a safety, but they have already released a kit for you to convert your APX to a frame-mounted manual safety version. So now you can have your APX both ways. But you're already rocking the Px4 Compact Carry, so...*shrug*.
    Really? That's cool. Glad they had the sense to offer that. I mean... the gun was designed for it anyway. Seems like kind of a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Really? That's cool. Glad they had the sense to offer that. I mean... the gun was designed for it anyway. Seems like kind of a no-brainer.
    Based on my experience with base Beretta product releases, it appears that Beretta is doing everything that they can to make the APX a success, and doing a lot of "aftermarket" support seems to be part of that. They've been regularly releasing parts, accessories and other things for the platform since its release. A lot of us didn't think that Beretta would release the safety kit, so it's been a bit of a wow moment that it's actually here.

To me, a frame safety with "single action" autos like the VP9, PPQ, or APX type triggers seems like a great way to get a poor man's 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    To me, a frame safety with "single action" autos like the VP9, PPQ, or APX type triggers seems like a great way to get a poor man's 1911.
    I agree. In a way we've come full circle, back to SAO. After DA/SA, DAO, and the existential gray area of SFA... it's like everyone forgot that a really nice trigger with a decent safety works too.

At the end of the day, I think most of you are missing the main factor in this debate.

The Polymer frame, striker fired guns is the future for one simple reason, it is cheap and easy to make. The manufacturers want you to buy them because they make more money on them. They are going to spend the money to market those guns to the gun buying public. Also, because they cost less to build, they will continue to win bids for agency purchases. As time passes, more and more military and law enforcement will have only been exposed to SFA handguns. More and more firearms instructors with real-world backgrounds will only know SFA and how to teach SFA. The arguments will keep going down the path of "anything else is just stupid". Set aside the fact that many gunfights have been won with TDA guns, guys continue to set personal best with TDA guns and win competitions with TDA guns. In many cases shooting them even better than what is supposed to be easier to shoot, like a 1911s, it will not matter. The mantra of, there is no need for two trigger pulls will keep taking hold. I personally know multiple police officers that have holstered their Berettas with the hammer in the half cock position. And they credit the DA trigger to saving more than just a life. But even with that, the bravado of "keep your booger hook off the bang switch bro" will keep getting repeated.

The facts are all there, but some will continue to manipulate them and show the one video from 20 years ago to prove our points and win the fight for the SFA gun.

It makes me sad, but I will keep trying to help the guys that want quality TDA guns for as long as I can. I still think they are important and relevant, thankfully I am not alone, at least not yet.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    At the end of the day, I think most of you are missing the main factor in this debate.

The Polymer frame, striker fired guns is the future for one simple reason, it is cheap and easy to make. The manufacturers want you to buy them because they make more money on them. They are going to spend the money to market those guns to the gun buying public. Also, because they cost less to build, they will continue to win bids for agency purchases. As time passes, more and more military and law enforcement will have only been exposed to SFA handguns. More and more firearms instructors with real-world backgrounds will only know SFA and how to teach SFA. The arguments will keep going down the path of "anything else is just stupid". Set aside the fact that many gunfights have been won with TDA guns, guys continue to set personal best with TDA guns and win competitions with TDA guns. In many cases shooting them even better than what is supposed to be easier to shoot, like a 1911s, it will not matter. The mantra of, there is no need for two trigger pulls will keep taking hold. I personally know multiple police officers that have holstered their Berettas with the hammer in the half cock position. And they credit the DA trigger to saving more than just a life. But even with that, the bravado of "keep your booger hook off the bang switch bro" will keep getting repeated.

The facts are all there, but some will continue to manipulate them and show the one video from 20 years ago to prove our points and win the fight for the SFA gun.

It makes me sad, but I will keep trying to help the guys that want quality TDA guns for as long as I can. I still think they are important and relevant, thankfully I am not alone, at least not yet.
    Excellent post!!

BTW, which is the “one video” you refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    OMG... We're still talking bout this?

Dudes... go to the fridge, grab a beer and celebrate that you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want in this country...
    Better be an IPA. REAL beer lovers drink only IPAs, the TDA pistol of the beer world!
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 04-02-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post

Well, I’d say you’re doing a hell of a job in keeping the dream alive. I definitely see the merit in the TDA system. It’s a tough battle though against an arguably simpler system. People like “simple” and “good enough”. Unfortunately I don’t think we’re going to see TDA pistols re-take the market unless there’s some kind of resurgence in thinking about pistols from a “people management” perspective instead of a “pure shootability” perspective.

Currently in my journey as a pistol shooter I’ve gone back and forth on if I want to really move to TDA predominantly over my Glocks or not. I’ve got FAR more trigger time on Glocks than anything else and logistics are a thing for a dude with a family and a zero firearm inclusion profession. That said I don’t really shoot my 92 with some personal tweaks that much worse than my Glocks. The DA press also translates well to practicing with my NPE carry gun (J-frame) so there’s some merit to that as well.

Part of the problem with the Beretta 92 specifically though is that, at the moment, there’s no good way to mount a red dot to it. Granted that is probably not an impossibility, nor is having a red dot a requirement, but it is going to eventually become the de facto sighting system on handguns. I know you’re working on a solution now, and I’m very interested in seeing it’s final form, but it is a thing to consider.

All in all, a TDA pistol does make a lot of sense, particularly to me. Unfortunately, due to logistics, so do Glocks. Not an easy decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    If only Beretta made a DA/SA single stack..the market is crowded with SFA single stacks.
    I would be interested. I liked the idea of first 92 variant with a single-column mag, back in the day, though the slide and the safety levers remained quite as wide as the standard 92, if I remember correctly. I keep hoping for one to show up at a large local gun store, so I can revisit the idea.

I will mention that I recently bought a pre-owned, well-preserved S&W 3913 TSW, with accessory rail, which, if reliable, and I can source a good carry rig, may well serve as my new serious slim-line nine. I briefly used an original 3913, and a 3953, in the early/mid-Nineties, so know I like the platform well enough. The parts supply, however, is finite, so, assuming S&W will not revive their 3rd-Generation autos, I will consider any any excellent slim-line nine that is offered by a quality maker.

Edited to add: I still like full-sized 1911 pistols, but swore off compact 1911s some time ago. The compact, but not too compact, slim-line nine fills a niche for me. I do not see DA/SA - SFA - DA - SA to be a zero-sum game.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Retar’d LE

User Tag List