Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for input (Glock purchase)

Looking for input (Glock purchase)

So. I'm stumped. I'm in a position to add another pistol in the near future. My current is a Glock 17 gen 4. Now I've owned lots of pistols over the last few years. Glock, 1911's, CZ, M&P's. I spent a lot of time "playing" with various pistols but not trying to seriously improve skill. Last summer I had to rearrange my priorities a bit and this forced me down to one pistol. I chose the Glock that I mentioned. I use it for everything. I carry it daily. It works very well for me in that role. The only modification I've done is a set of defoor sights. I've begun a much more serious dry fire/training regimen and I think focusing on this one gun has benefitted me. To date I've put 3500 rounds through it.

After work I checked out a couple options.

G45. I liked this the most. I honestly cant find a reason not to go this way.

G19 gen 5. I wasnt blown away here. I know they are great. But I think I just prefer the full size grip.

I didn't get to look at a 17 gen 5. But I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into there.

So my debate is: G45 or another G17? I'm staying with Glock because of my current inventory of mags and holsters etc.
    I don't think I will enjoy the grip of the 19, but I might like the shortened slide. If I go 17, it will be a gen 5.

I realize this is kind of a silly post because the G45 gets plenty of exposure. But, is there something I'm not considering here?

Lastly, I shot my uncles 19x last year. I like that gun. But I want a black gun and I'll install defoor sights anyway. My intention for the new gun is to be a second gun. Shoot one a lot. Shoot the carry gun some. I'm leaning G45. Any input is welcome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With iron sights, a G17 will out shoot a G45 due to the longer sight radius. There is no way around it, subjective feels aside. If concealing the extra slide length isn't an issue, the G17 is a better choice.

Site Supporter
    I can’t think of a reason not to get a G45 or 19x. One or the other is probably my next purchase.

When the options are that close, I would just get another 17, as a 45 would not be significantly easier to conceal. The bigger question for me, if I were in your shoes, would be whether to get a gen 5 or another gen 4 gun for parts compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    When the options are that close, I would just get another 17, as a 45 would not be significantly easier to conceal. The bigger question for me, if I were in your shoes, would be whether to get a gen 5 or another gen 4 gun for parts compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have to admit. This has crossed my mind. I guess the gen 5 just has that shiny new thing appeal at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I was getting a gen5, I’d go with the G45 just to not have that front strap cutout

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    If I was getting a gen5, I’d go with the G45 just to not have that front strap cutout
    They make a gen5 19 and 17 now without the cutout. I got to handle one today.

I have a 19.5 that I really like but I would rather have a 17.5 or 45 for the longer grip. I have big hands and more grip length works better for me. I don't use it for carry so I'm not concerned about concealing the longer grip on either one.

It sounds like the G45 is what the OP is looking for.
    Last edited by O4L; 02-23-2019 at 03:01 AM.

I'd go glock 17 mos. That way if you want a gen 5 with no grip cut out it doesn't have one. Or if you go gen 4 it doesn't have a grip cut out either. And then that way if you ever get a hankering to mess with optics you're already g2g. I carry around a 19x all the time when I insert my g17 mag into my glock 19 pfft.

Banned
    What is your purpose in buying the gun? This is just me but if I already had a Glock 17 my next gun would be something that I could conceal in an NPE if I had to.

Get another 17 gen 4. And then buy a third. That way you have one gun that you shoot at the range that's taking all the wear and tear, one gun that you carry, and a spare in case something happens to your carry gun. Then start looking at other models of Glocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List