Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your carry gear screws

Check your carry gear screws

Just a reminder to check the tightness of your screws occasionally on your carry gear.

Was in a retail store the other day just standing there talking with the clerk at checkout. Felt something falling down my leg on the inside of my pants. Lifted my pant leg and saw a little screw fall out - it was one of the screws for the belt clip for my spare mag carrier for my G43, carried aiwb. Lucky that I felt it and found it right then. Wasn't a huge deal and don't think I was close to being killed in the streetz - but I have been carrying it since Aug '17 and don't think I've checked it or tightened anything. Shame on me - should come up with schedule to check gear screws and such - something maybe quarterly.

Just a reminder - check your gear occasionally.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

BTDT.

Had a screw once fall right onto the floor in front of me, one of two holding the buckle of an Alessi belt I was wearing.

Ever since, I regularly check all belt buckle screws, not to mention others that I prefer not to Loctite, like 1911 stock screws and holster retention screws.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I set my retention and loctite the screws.

Site Supporter
    To channel my inner Danny Vermin, I had a screw come loose once . . . once!
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    This is my solution as well. I've used Vibratite VC3 in lieu of Loctite 242, but similar results. Once I set it, it stays set and I do a once over of my gear every other week. I haven't gone to the extent of painting witness marks on my gear, but got bored one night and almost considered it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Indeed, blue loctite on everything that matters.

Site Supporter
    In addition to loctiting / vibratiting all screws on carry gear anything important with screws should be witness marked.

Get a paint pen and put a line or dot on one spot on the screw and another corresponding line or dot on the surrounding material so you can see if the screw is coming loose.

I learned this the hard way at a Pat Rogers carbine class when halfway through the day @SeanM found a rear BUIS in the sand and was like “ hey is this your rear sight ?” ;-)

Have you guys had good luck using rubber O-rings sandwiched inside the screw hardware to keep everything tight?

Clear nail polish works a a cheap threadlocker.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Vibra-tite VC3 is excellent at keeping gear screws in place. Another alternative is upgrading to hardware with nylok inserts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrok View Post
    Have you guys had good luck using rubber O-rings sandwiched inside the screw hardware to keep everything tight?
    It can. I know of some folks who have done so to keep 1911 grip screws in place and, IIRC, my old RCS Phantom holsters had O-rings that served a similar purpose. I tend to prefer VC3 or 242 though.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List