Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I stand athwart gun history, yelling stop! Enjoying my CZ P01

Hello Greg;

I have nothing to contribute regarding Ceska Zbrojovka guns, having only had the experience of fondling the beloved-of-Jeff Cooper CZ75 back in the '80s, yet never owned one.

I just wanted to thank you for using "athwart" in a thread title on the internet.

I remember you from the now-mostly-defunct Park Cities Tactical, and I actually read your entire Break My J-Frame thread with interest on M4Carbine.

Best.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

"I just wanted to thank you for using "athwart" in a thread title on the internet. " I remember William F. Buckley used that line, or something similar when founding the conservative "National Review." I feel like it is appropriate for my ever-contrarian old fashioned taste in metal, DA/SA firearms.

I already have a set of LOK grips, but I bungled the install and stripped the hex head screws. I love the factory Phillips head screws but they are slightly too big and I don't want to modify the grips if I don't have to (plus they would probably be a bit tall). I despise the rubber grips, as they pretty much "lock in" a bad draw. Of course, if you were just shooting bullseyes or starting from low ready the rubber grips would be the shit.

Once I get over 1k I will do some comparison bill and El prez drills against my beloved Beretta. I always hate when people do comparisons (especially on youtube) of a new gun to the gun they have been shooting for 20 years and immediately say it is worse, discounting familiarity.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 02-10-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Great thread. A lot of your reasoning was the same that led me to the H&K P2000 V3 as my EDC. The P-01 was a close second, it basically came down to the availability of the P2000sk as a mountain biking gun with the same shooting characteristics, manual of arms and support gear as my real gun. Just couldn't get rev'd up about the RAMIs.

Enjoy it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    How is that beavertail for IWB and AIWB? Does it stab you at all?
    Neither the 75BD with its flat, more traditional beavertail nor the P-01 with its short, upswept tail bother me at all IWB. I don't carry AIWB so can't answer that part.

More props for "athwart".

That's a Robert E. Howard kind of word.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    "I just wanted to thank you for using "athwart" in a thread title on the internet. " I remember William F. Buckley used that line, or something similar when founding the conservative "National Review." I feel like it is appropriate for my ever-contrarian old fashioned taste in metal, DA/SA firearms.

I already have a set of LOK grips, but I bungled the install and stripped the hex head screws. I love the factory Phillips head screws but they are slightly too big and I don't want to modify the grips if I don't have to (plus they would probably be a bit tall). I despise the rubber grips, as they pretty much "lock in" a bad draw. Of course, if you were just shooting bullseyes or starting from low ready the rubber grips would be the shit.

Once I get over 1k I will do some comparison bill and El prez drills against my beloved Beretta. I always hate when people do comparisons (especially on youtube) of a new gun to the gun they have been shooting for 20 years and immediately say it is worse, discounting familiarity.
    Greg,
    FWIW, I installed a set of LOK's on my P01, and on my SP01 Tac, (full checkered palm swells for the P01, and full checkered thin grips on the SP01 Tac) using their screws and 0 rings, one minor problem I always had with CZ's is the grip screw that rubs up against my body, starts rusting rather quickly, I installed a set of phillips head stainless grip screws from CZC, that are the same as factory grip screws except they're stainless..They worked without any problem in either set my LOK grips, on either pistol. I put the 0 rings on, they and they screwed right in.. No problem dropping mags.. You might want to check them out, if you haven't already..
    Last edited by ralph; 02-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Your “Break My J-frame” thread was really interesting. I’ve read it more than once. Hope you enjoy the new CZ. Looking forward to reading about your experiences with it. I’ve put maybe a grand total of 25 rounds through a metal framed Omega setup. I like the trigger shape a lot better compared to the overly curved standard CZ triggers.

Site Supporter
    Have you tried a P-07? If so, how do the two compare?

200 rounds of WWB today. I had my first malfunction. I had a FTF while using the Mec-Gar 16 round mag. I wasn't completely surprised because I had been feeling some hesitancy when loading from slide release. A sort of "Ker-chucnk" where you could feel the slide closing a bit slower on the round.which made me wonder if something was up. Took it out of rotation and fired all the rest through factory mags with zero issue and zero "Ker-chunk,"I guess it might be the wwb but I figure the odds are on the mag. I will mark it and keep an eye on it.

Other than that I had a great time doing my usual EL-prez and shoot on the move drills. I got to shoot my buddies VP9 (which used to be mine) side by side and after firing a few rounds though each it is really funny how little practical difference there is between guns once you get a good grip on them.

I also shot the screw out of the APLC. I may need to put some removable loc-tite on it. The light never came off because it fits very tight, but I was surprised to see it fall out.

I also learned that you cannot get the CT laser grips on this gun. The ambi levers interfere. I believe those grips are out of production so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Two (2) CZ 75 SP01 Shadow pistols from CZ Custom. (One with a fixed rear sight in DA/SA configuration for IDPA SSP Division and the other with an adjustable rear sight and converted to SAO for IDPA ESP Division).

One (1) CZ 75 SP01 (non-Shadow) pistol from Cajun Gun Works that has been converted to SAO (Local steel matches in Limited Division)

One (1) CZ 97B Shadow pistol from CZ Custom that has been converted to SAO (IDPA CDP Division and Jeep/UTV gun for desert/forest excursions)

One (1) CZ 75B Compact Pro-Tek1 pistol from CZ Custom (EDC)

One (1) CZ RAMI 2075B From Cajun Gun Works (NPE Carry)

I can't think of much of anything to complain about with any of the pistols. I believe I shoot them all better than any single pistol platform I have tried previously. I own numerous 1911's and 2011's in both .45 and 9mm and like all of them, but they don't get a whole lot of use these days. There has been an epic purge of Glock at my home over the past year.

Problems I have encountered with these pistols:

1. Reamed the throats (ever so lightly) of all three full Size CZ 75 SP-01 pistols to eliminate ammo COAL sensitivity. This has been 100% successful so far.
    2. The tritium vial in the front sight of the RAMI 2075 departed for parts unknown at a VERY low round count. Returned to Cajun Gun Works for replacement sight.
    3. Broke a trigger return spring in one of the CZ Custom Shadow pistols. Replaced it with new "improved" design TRS

User Tag List