Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1911s?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I get it. It's not like there are 20+ active threads on 1911 nuances active here all time. And for good reason.

I had to hold a foot completely off the silouette at 11:00 to drop rounds into the scoring center
    Thanks. I had a pistol like that at Pendleton. I used a black pastie at 4 o'clock about four inches outside of the black to hit x. I came pretty close to setting the range record with that pistol.
    Also there is a retired USMC match armorer on that forum. He can teach you anything you would ever need to know about maintaining or building a 1911. I have forgotten his name maybe LL can chip in here.
    Also Severns Custom mentioned earlier in this thread is a great guy to buy a pistol from. He would be my number one choice to buy a 1911 from.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.

As mentioned earlier DocGKR has a 1911 for sale. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...uned-Colt-1991

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    I now have a single M1911A1 and it is GI issue/surplus with all of the little imperfections people spend money to correct. Mine is reliable and accurate with ball and Remington 230 grain Golden Saber, though it also does rattle.
    For a few years I had a 1911A1 Ithaca that I got cheaper than most at that time because someone had re-parkerized it. But it still was a GI gun and I thought it pretty cool. I don't know anything else about it's history but with Chip McCormick Power Mags it would feed any JHP I ever fed it. As did a never cycled WW I commemorative I also had to have once upon a time. A beautiful thing commemorating the Battle of the Marne; made in 1967 on roughly a 1911 format. That short tang and long hammer would rip the hell out of the web of my hand. Not little bites like a full hammer on a BHP, or a little "sawing" from a Gen 4 with the Large grip adaptor but big wolf bites. I couldn't shoot it more than a few rounds without gloves. That gun I know was 1967 stock and it too would feed all of several types of JHPs with Chip McCormick Power Mags. Got me to thinking that all that throating business just needed those magazines.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've been a member there since 2005 or so. Lots of historical manufacturing information, good debates on checkering, not so much on shooting the guns hard.
    I agree. They tend to be excellent on analyzing components and peripherals, but seem predominantly to be "hobby users" and tend to get their panties in a twist if one has the lack of temerity to interject any real-world, hard use limitations to the 1911 platform.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Stay away, far away from Baer's Commander length pistols.
    Brian B - Can you elaborate on this re: Baer Commander length guns?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Brian B - Can you elaborate on this re: Baer Commander length guns?
    Their commander length guns are on 5" frames with the dustcover shortened. The Commander length frames are designed to have a bit more room for the slide to travel. This can lead to malfunctions. Hence the reason Baer Commander length guns have a reputation that is not stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Their commander length guns are on 5" frames with the dustcover shortened. The Commander length frames are designed to have a bit more room for the slide to travel. This can lead to malfunctions. Hence the reason Baer Commander length guns have a reputation that is not stellar.
    Brian is it true that you generally cannot "slingshot" the slides of Baer "commander" models from slidelock? I seem to recall something like that and your explanation sounds like the reason.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I agree. They tend to be excellent on analyzing components and peripherals, but seem predominantly to be "hobby users" and tend to get their panties in a twist if one has the lack of temerity to interject any real-world, hard use limitations to the 1911 platform.

Best, Jon
    Not questioning your assertions/observations but I'm curious what you consider "hard use."
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Brian is it true that you generally cannot "slingshot" the slides of Baer "commander" models from slidelock? I seem to recall something like that and your explanation sounds like the reason.
    Yes Thats true.The standard Baer reply was "We designed them that way" The 5 inch guns are good to go.

User Tag List