View Poll Results: Is it OK for your muzzle to dip after the trigger is pressed with a dummy round?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 72.73%
  • No

6 27.27%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is post trigger push really a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    People like to make things way more complicated than it needs to be. This topic and trigger control are two of the most common.
    I like to discuss it in excruciating detail because it forces me to think about it in excruciating detail which results in better analysis of what I do and what I see other people doing allowing for more accurate corrections.

That or I just like to argue.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Many people think that teaching a subject, whether it be flying, shooting or even a less important endeavor, makes you better at it, as you have to really understand something to describe it well enough to teach someone else. I would suggest that discussing it on the internet is a close second to teaching, because if you can articulate your thoughts clearly without emotion, pride or appeals to authority, you probably have a pretty good handle on the topic at hand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Many people think that teaching a subject, whether it be flying, shooting or even a less important endeavor, makes you better at it, as you have to really understand something to describe it well enough to teach someone else. I would suggest that discussing it on the internet is a close second to teaching, because if you can articulate your thoughts clearly without emotion, pride or appeals to authority, you probably have a pretty good handle on the topic at hand.
    Yes SIR!
    One of the prime reasons I pen pieces for publication...I like to get the right words in the correct order so all can learn.

30+ years of shooting and Master ratings in several disciplines let's me draw on real field experience to share with others...and this is
    the best forums for that!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    People like to make things way more complicated than it needs to be. This topic and trigger control are two of the most common.
    Hell, driving a car well takes more effort than shooting. You and I both know shooting is easy, we just make it more difficult.

The coin/case thing is pretty worthless. After an exchange with Jay a couple years ago, I messed around with it and sure enough, I could consistently hold the sights dead still, keeping the coin/case on the front sight using only thumb and trigger finger (no actual grip) at will. Doubt I could do much with live rounds that way.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Thought i'd share this link. Ron Avery is the author, and he mentions that both Jeff Cooper and Rob Leatham subscribe to the notion of the post ignition push.
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 02-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Hell, driving a car well takes more effort than shooting. You and I both know shooting is easy, we just make it more difficult.
    Shooting is easy: pull the trigger in such a way that it doesn’t disturb whatever sight picture you need to make the hit that is required.

The devil’s in the details

IMO the point of balancing an empty case on the front sight and pressing the trigger through without it falling is not as a method of ongoing dry fire for experienced shooters.

I've found it useful for communicating what we mean when we say pressing the trigger to the rear without disturbing the sights for brand new shooters. The case tumbling off is valuable feedback for them when their eyes aren't attuned yet to noticing their front sight's motion.

And to this day, I will take Ken Hackathorn's advice to visualize it there when breaking a special precision shot. Like trick shots.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO the point of balancing an empty case on the front sight and pressing the trigger through without it falling is not as a method of ongoing dry fire for experienced shooters.

I've found it useful for communicating what we mean when we say pressing the trigger to the rear without disturbing the sights for brand new shooters. The case tumbling off is valuable feedback for them when their eyes aren't attuned yet to noticing their front sight's motion.

And to this day, I will take Ken Hackathorn's advice to visualize it there when breaking a special precision shot. Like trick shots.
    Did you say...Trick Shots?

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Did you say...Trick Shots?
    LOVE THAT!

Here is one I set up with the lad and his TRP. He balanced a few empty cases when he was starting out. 1st try 88 feet.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List