View Poll Results: Is it OK for your muzzle to dip after the trigger is pressed with a dummy round?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 72.73%
  • No

6 27.27%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is post trigger push really a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thank you. i think the latter is, actually, what I'm doing - definitely not the two for one sight picture. I'm getting faster i just still see the second hitting lower than the first, like almost exactly straight down. I'll keep working; as i do i am seeing the distance the second shot is lower decreasing significantly.

Good. Do not ingrain the Hammer, a cooler name for the doubletap. I drilled it for many years ('80's) and it's taken forever to break the bad habit and shoot two singles very fast instead. All strings are single shots repeated. By the time the "doubletap" became widespread conventional wisdom it had been debunked by the best shooters.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Pre igntiion push is flinch, etc. by a different name. Mostly coined by others trying to help people recognize it and not do it.

It's a thing people should stop doing.

There is only two reasons a person misses the target:

1: They weren't aiming in the right place.

2: The moved the gun prior to the shot breaking (flinch, pre ignition, push, etc.)
    A71593

Properly applied, I believe we agree on the steps for “normal USPSA” style shooting are, in this order — isolate the trigger, let recoil happen, then steer the pistol back down. Think we also agree this needs to happen at a subconscious level depending upon the target we are shooting.

Let’s say the task was to draw and shoot one shot to an A zone, holster and repeat. What would you think if the shooter ended up with an empty chamber, drew, and then the muzzle dipped greatly on what was supposed to be a single shot drill. Is this post ignition push or something else?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great vid:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Let’s say the task was to draw and shoot one shot to an A zone, holster and repeat. What would you think if the shooter ended up with an empty chamber, drew, and then the muzzle dipped greatly on what was supposed to be a single shot drill. Is this post ignition push or something else?
    If it was after the trigger press is completed it could be recoil management (post ignition push) or what I call "prairie dogging" (which is actually poor follow through, looking for the hit instead of watching the front sight lift).
    I most often see "prairie dogging" on steel where the shooter wants to watch it fall instead of knowing it'll fall because of sight feedback (calling the shot).
    There's probably a few other possibilities but recoil management and poor follow through are the most common in my experience.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Yes, but the problem is when you start pushing on the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel.
    That would fall under pre ignition anticipation (of which the "flinch" is a subset).
    I guess you could say the post ignition push is also a subset of anticipation since it's done in anticipation of the recoil.

It's all in whether you consider all forms of "anticipation" to be negative.
    IMO the "flinch" is negative because in general it's an involuntary negative reaction to recoil that happens during the trigger press.
    The "push" isn't necessarily negative because it's usually a voluntary action to pre-emptively control the recoil post trigger press.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That would fall under pre ignition anticipation (of which the "flinch" is a subset).
    I guess you could say the post ignition push is also a subset of anticipation since it's done in anticipation of the recoil.

It's all in whether you consider all forms of "anticipation" to be negative.
    IMO the "flinch" is negative because in general it's an involuntary negative reaction to recoil that happens during the trigger press.
    The "push" isn't necessarily negative because it's usually a voluntary action to pre-emptively control the recoil post trigger press.
    Indeed.

This shit isn't rocket science guys.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Indeed.

9 is how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Indeed.

People like to make things way more complicated than it needs to be. This topic and trigger control are two of the most common.

let recoil happen, then steer the pistol back down.
    "Post ignition push" is really just another name for steering the pistol back down.
    How aggressively you do that and how quickly you do it after "the recoil happens" is usually dependent on what your plans are for the next shot.
    When shooting multiple shots at a single target at speed I know my timing is right when my "push" coincides with the front sight just starting to lift out of the notch.
    Waiting for the front sight to lift any further before steering the pistol back down is just wasted milliseconds.
    When making a transition I may not be timing my "push" with the front sight lift but I am timing my eye shift to the next target with the front sight lift.
    When making a single precision shot I may not time anything, instead I will watch the front sight throughout it's entire lift and settle with very little active recoil compensation.

BTW: none of this outside of the single precision shot with a deliberate follow through happens at a conscious level.

User Tag List