Thread: 3" rossi .44 special

3" rossi .44 special

Not this specific gun
    Attachment 35012

But my shop has an identical one for $450.

The more I look and handle it the more I like it.

It doesn't fit in my k frame holster so im guessing it's a l frame sized gun.

How are they?

03RN, we discussed them HERE. Short version: more than likely you'll like it.

I haven't made a move on the one I saw because I can't convince myself I want a 3" .44 Special rather than a 4" and if I'm doing a 4" .44 it might as well be a Model 29 that will see a 100 to 1 ratio of Specials to Mags. I may still go look at it yet again tomorrow...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have three of those as well as several Charter Arms Bulldogs. The Rossi is a bit sturdier and should stand up to all the practice you can afford, unless you reload. The downside is that .44 Special ammo can be hard to find and is relatively expensive. Being that these revolvers have been discontinued you can expect the price to keep going up. I don't think that I paid much more than $200 for any of mine that were all purchased used somewhere around the turn of the century. I feed mine Speer 200 grain Gold Dots and practice with lead reloads.

Site Supporter
    Taurus took over the Rossi line of handguns. Were the Rossi .44's made only by Rossi before Taurus infected them?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    03RN, we discussed them HERE. Short version: more than likely you'll like it.

I haven't made a move on the one I saw because I can't convince myself I want a 3" .44 Special rather than a 4" and if I'm doing a 4" .44 it might as well be a Model 29 that will see a 100 to 1 ratio of Specials to Mags. I may still go look at it yet again tomorrow...
    Thanks for the link

I'm really not in a place to buy it right now but it's good to know I can at least talk about it to customers.

My M92 is made by Rossi and it's a kick ass gun.

In that linked thread someone states is only as strong as charter's guns. That's pretty shocking. It feels substantially better put together.

What are the tier of .44 special loads? Are the old 240 grain swc at 1k fps safe in this gun? Factory +p?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    In that linked thread someone states is only as strong as charter's guns. That's pretty shocking. It feels substantially better put together.
    The takeaway from that is to always ask people for evidence of what they're stating. If they can't provide any, then they're just giving an opinion with no weight behind it.

I'm not saying that Rossi revolvers are stronger than Charters. I'm saying that some random stranger's internet statement that Rossis are weak doesn't qualify as truth

Some possibly cheaper 44 special range ammo if you don't load your own:

https://choiceammunition.com/product...hand-loaded-3/

As I understand it, these small 5 shot .44 Specials are rated for the SAMMI spec factory loads and not the high end Keith loads which were developed for large frame six shooters. The reason someone might choose one of these over a big 4" N frame is that it is considerably lighter and narrower meaning that you will actually carry it. Again, the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot is a perfect match for these little revolvers. Balletically it is similar to the .45 ACP in an apples to apples comparison with the same weight bullet and both being fired from a 3" vented revolver.

User Tag List