Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here has their own home shop?

Who here has their own home shop?

By home shop I mean a separate building with tools or equipment where you indulge your hobbies and work on things for or fun or relaxation rather to make a living.

Does the kitchen table count?

Site Supporter
    Our current house has a small shop and a shed. It's not what I would call an actual shop as it only has a standard door so there is only so much I can work on in there. I reload and keep saws and tools and kis ball equipment in there.
    Our first house had a 20x20 with barn doors. I could work oh motorcycles or vehicles.

Site Supporter
    Have a full basement. Safe and ammo room. Large reloading bench. Large work bench. One whole wall covered in white pegboard with tools and such. Now if I could get my wife to quit “borrowing “ tools or at least put them back.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'm a contractor so I have an actual shop, a 30x40 garage. Not at my home though, it's at my "office". And any personal tool I buy seems to migrate to the shop or jobsite anyway.

My home has a 4 car garage though, so I've got plenty of room to clear out the vehicles when I occasionally need the space for projects. I built my kitchen table, several bookcases, and a few odds and ends. My wife's not a weenie, she likes to help. So I'll get everything cut and sanded, and let her do the staining and painting while I'm at work.

Name:  6BE253AE-6E82-4CA7-8801-3F832302A2AD.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  69.0 KB

1200 sq feet of leave me alone space.

I have a 30'x40' shop that I built in 2007, 3 years after I built my house. I don't know how some guys can get by living in an apartment or subdivision with no work space at all or one that's the size of a broom closet. The 3 years that it took me to save up to build my shop would have drove me insane if I didn't have my parents shop to use when I needed it.

I am not "mechanically inclined" so my shop is for little besides reloading.
    My old shop was a separate little building showing on the 1921 city map as a garage. A previous owner had divided it into two rooms, one for storage, one as a darkroom. He took the sink and other gear with him, the only remainder was a passthrough in the door for film and prints.

After the old house was burnt out, I had the old shop taken down along with the ruins of the house.
    The new place had a floor plan for a double garage. What I had built was a wide single garage, room for a car + lawnmower and the usual junk; and a long rather narrow shop space with independent AC so I don't smell up the house with Hoppes.
    The sidewall is not load bearing, if my heirs want a double garage, all they have to do is take out the partition and put in another garage door.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    My wife thought I was crazy when we talked about building a house and detached garage. I thought a 2600 square foot house with a detached 8000 square foot garage was a good idea. I did not win that one. If I do build a house I’m going to build the garage first.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    I live in a townhouse with a typical townhouse-size yard, so no room for outbuildings.

However...
    This TH is 3 stories with the ground floor being garage, foyer, and an unfinished room on the back side that is typically a family room. We left ours unfinished and refer to it as the "basement". It opens out to the backyard under the deck. So, I have that room as well as the patio under the deck for manly mechanical, gun-related, and other such pursuits. I also have the garage for motor-vehicle-related work. It's a bit tight for anything larger than a mid-sized SUV, but it's better than nothing and lets me change the oil and do other minor maintenance tasks in relative comfort. I rebuilt the front end of my 4Runner in that garage, as well as many brake jobs and other things the typical TH dweller would pay someone else to do.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 02-10-2019 at 10:23 PM.

User Tag List