Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol 3" M66

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I like the looks of the Pach’s, but the seam is a mess in the area under the trigger guard, and left a place on my middle finger after just a little dry firing. I suppose I could work on that area and smooth it out.

This will be a working gun, I don’t want any fancy wood or anything...honestly, rubber or G10 would be just fine.
    I beg to differ with the notion that a working gun and fancy wood are mutually exclusive. I've had Pachmayr rubber grips. I've had Pachmayr laminated wood grips. I've had Hogue rubber grips. I've had VZ G10 grips. I've had S&W OEM plastic/rubber grips. And none of them can hold a candle to Ahrends wood grips when it comes to shooting fast and accurately.

One point I will make that is often overlooked: rubber grips are very unforgiving of grip mistakes during the initial stages of a draw. Smooth wood grips are extremely tolerant of same.

A few draws on the timer with both will show you why.

BTW, you'll pay the same for a set of G10 grips from VZ as you will a set of cocobolo/rosewood/maple/walnut grips from Kim Ahrends. So saving money is not the point.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-16-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I beg to differ with the notion that a working gun and fancy wood are mutually exclusive. I've had Pachmayr rubber grips. I've had Pachmayr laminated wood grips. I've had Hogue rubber grips. I've had VZ G10 grips. I've had S&W OEM plastic/rubber grips. And none of them can hold a candle to Ahrends wood grips when it comes to shooting fast and accurately.

One point I will make that is often overlooked: rubber grips are very unforgiving of grip mistakes during the initial stages of a draw. Smooth wood grips are extremely tolerant of same.

A few draws on the timer with both will show you why.
    I bought this thing to carry while working undercover, something that doesn’t look so much like a “cop gun”. I feel like fancy wood grips would make it stand out too much if it were to be seen.

I bought this thing to carry while working undercover, something that doesn’t look so much like a “cop gun”. I feel like fancy wood grips would make it stand out too much if it were to be seen.
    I understand that. But.....

I don't know how many Ahreds grips have you seen in person, but all of mine except one set have been made of vey subdued woods that while elegant as hell, don't look gaudy. Most everything he makes is very understated.

I like the looks of the Pach’s, but the seam is a mess in the area under the trigger guard, and left a place on my middle finger after just a little dry firing. I suppose I could work on that area and smooth it out.

This will be a working gun, I don’t want any fancy wood or anything...honestly, rubber or G10 would be just fine.
    I stole this pic from SteveB in the HiTS revolver thread. Would love for some to make a RB grip with this profile:

Name:  9FABBC4A-5168-49CF-8E9F-65B3DE6A1D02.jpeg
Views: 523
Size:  64.1 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I think wood grips are great for an UC gun...any bad guy that sees it will think its stolen. Unfortunately, Ahrends doesn’t make cocobolo anymore. The wood is prohibited from import. Nora Dillon is still pretty dark, and you CAN get any Ahrends grip made in curly maple dyed black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the Pachmayrs in the freezer for a couple hours today to harden them up, then sanded down the seam under the trigger guard area with a dremel. I think they’re going to be perfect now.

Nice!

That's a hell of a UC gun.

How long are LEOs guns typically seized for in your area's OISs?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a hell of a UC gun.

How long are LEOs guns typically seized for in your area's OISs?
    Depends on the agency. Really, they should be returned as soon as the lab runs the ballistics tests on them. One of my former partners had a gun in evidence for 2 or 3 years, but that was because it was basically forgotten about. Of course, he was issued an identical USP and didn’t really care.

I’m not aware of a shooting at my agency involving a personally owned weapon, mainly because the only officers that can carry a POW on-duty are us in the narc unit and the hall-walkers. I figure it would be gone for at least a year, but you could probably get it back sooner if you made enough noise about it.

I think I’m going carry 135 grain .38 Short Barrel Gold Dots in this thing (popping off a .357 in a vehicle or other confined space doesn’t appeal to me), but I’m open to other suggestions if anyone has any.

User Tag List