Thread: Week 307: Bill Wilson’s Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Week 307: Bill Wilson’s Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Week 307: Bill Wilson’s Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Results may be posted until March 8th, 2019.

Designed by: Bill Wilson
    Range: 7-12 yards
    Target: Three IDPA
    Start Position: Hands at sides, facing the target
    Rounds Fired: 14

This a drill from Bill Wilson testing shooting, movement, and reloading.

You can see his full explanation and drill setup here:

In short, you set up two barrels (or similar half-high barricade) 4 yards apart. One target is 12 yards downrange of the left barrel, and one target is 12 yards downrange of the right barrel, and those targets are supposed to be 12 yards apart from each other (though in the video, they appear to be about 4 yards apart.) A third target is set up in the center, 7 yards downrange of the ‘barrel line’. It will be easy to see the layout if you take a look at Bill’s video linked above.

Procedure:

Start loaded with 11 total rounds and holstered, standing behind the left barrel. At the start signal, draw and shoot 3 body shots to the left target, 3 body shots to the right target, start moving toward the other barrel while firing 2 body shots to the center target while on the move. When you reach the right barrel, stop moving and shoot 2 body shots and 1 head shot to the right target. Your gun should be empty at that point. Conduct an emergency reload and shoot 2 body shots and 1 head shot to the left target.

For extra challenge, you can have someone else load your magazines so that the reload is a surprise.

Your score is your time, plus penalties for hits outside the -0 zone. No extra shots allowed. 1 point down = 1 second added to your time.

Bill Wilson ranks scores as follows:

18 seconds or less total – Advanced
    18.01 to 29 seconds total – Very Proficient CCW Carrier
    Over 29 seconds total – Hit the Range and Practice

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Total raw time
    Total points down
    Total score (raw time + 1 second for each point down)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 02-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I gave it a couple of runs; the first one, less said, the better. Let’s just say Wilson would say: “Hit the range”.
    GLOCK Model 45, out of a Safariland Level 3 “duty” rig, with an open top mag pouch.
    2nd run: 17.45 raw time, +1(on center target), 18.45 total.
    Having multiple runs is practice, and I will probably run from opposite side also. Just focused a little harder on 2nd run...

Another run at this, after lunch today, on a lit indoor range. Model45(“Stealth X”) out of a Level 3 holster, open top mag pouch.
    Raw time, 17.21. Plus 3 this time, total:20.21. One out of 0 on one target outside, two on other outside target. Clean on 7 yard target.
    I’ll give this at least one more run before time expires.
    Thanks-good little drill!

A few runs this afternoon, with “duty” setup: GLOCK Model45, out of a Level 3 holster, w/open mag pouch.
    Best run raw time 17.68, +2 seconds on far target (just a bit low at 7ish out of 8”circle-forcing the shots).
    19.68 total. Sub 18 is doable, even for a me with 66 years of life experience! Just need to put it all together.
    I appreciate this drill for the shifts and movement.

Hi all! Two hour ago I did this exercise. I used a Glock 3Gen, normal sight and duty holster Safariland. I have used 3 European IPSC target with their A´s zone and I have added 2 target "3x5 inches". Distances 12 and 7 meters. These are my results:

FIRST time. Total Time:18.47 seconds, First Shot: 1.79 seconds, Reload: 2.74 seconds. One fail over second target.

Name:  CHP BILL 1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  85.6 KB

SECOND Time. Total Time:17.22 seconds, First Shot: 1.44 seconds, Reload: 2.95 seconds. One fail over third target.

Name:  CHP BILL 2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  38.3 KB

I will continue training
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Machín Glock; 03-05-2019 at 12:56 PM.

User Tag List