Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooting without emotion

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this is likely to be very individual.

I love the process of shooting. I don’t care very much about beating other people. What motivates me is getting better at shooting.
    I would love to read your "signature themes" report. I think I could predict a few of them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Which is great untill you miss a shot and your reload plan gets flubbed.
    Yes to a point.

Another analogy from clay shooting: in some of the sporting clays disciplines (FITASC and Super Sporting) you get single targets before you get the pairs. You have full use of the gun (two shots) to engage singles. You make a plan to where you're going to pick up (visually) and then intercept and kill that target with the first shot, which your subconscious mind should then execute.

What you can't plan for is what to do if you miss it with the first shot. Those who miss and then kill typically are the shooters who let the subconscious handle the task of re-calculating and executing a second intercept to break the target. Those who have to think about what to do if they miss the first shot almost never are successful with the second and are probably better off saving a cartridge.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Take up golf for a while, to be good it requires the same emotion control as shooting but dragged out over a much longer period of time.
    In a typical USPSA stage you have to be in control for 30 seconds or so max.
    On a typical golf hole you have around 15 minutes that you need to be "in the moment".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List