Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dots: Use of, Astigmatism, & Pratice

I have astigmatism in my left eye and poor vision in that eye. My right eye has 20/20 vision with no issues; I have had some problems with double dots and other weird adaptations when shooting a red dot. This thread kind of makes me want to dig my glasses out that correct my left eye problems and see how that affects my dot shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    I have an astigmatism. I found going with a bigger dot and keeping the brightness down is the best option. I have a milled G45 slide with an RM07 getting done right now.
    No joke? A bigger dot is better than a smaller one? Does this vary person-to-person or has this worked for most folks with astigmatism?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    As I’ve aged, I’ve slowly began developing a bit of nearsightedness and astigmatism.

To my naked eye, what was once a tiny ball now looks like a little shuttlecock. Luckily, the “cork side” points straight up, so it’s not totally unmanageable. I can still make snapshots to an 8-inch plate at 100 yards with an Aimpoint mounted carbine, but it’s taking me a bit longer to do so reliably due to the worsening eyesight.

So I finally got spectacles earlier this year. Although they are a definite improvement, they have not completely eliminated the astigmatic distortion. Honestly, I now only notice the slight optical imperfection when shooting dots in low level light, but it’s still mildly annoying. For those of you who have had spectacles for many years, is that normal? I thought corrective lenses would’ve completely eliminated the problem.

Maybe there should be a red dot test in the eye exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    As I’ve aged, I’ve slowly began developing a bit of nearsightedness and astigmatism.

To my naked eye, what was once a tiny ball now looks like a little shuttlecock. Luckily, the “cork side” points straight up, so it’s not totally unmanageable. I can still make snapshots to an 8-inch plate at 100 yards with an Aimpoint mounted carbine, but it’s taking me a bit longer to do so reliably due to the worsening eyesight.

So I finally got spectacles earlier this year. Although they are a definite improvement, they have not completely eliminated the astigmatic distortion. Honestly, I now only notice the slight optical imperfection when shooting dots in low level light, but it’s still mildly annoying. For those of you who have had spectacles for many years, is that normal? I thought corrective lenses would’ve completely eliminated the problem.

Maybe there should be a red dot test in the eye exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You know, I was listening to Pandora and a commercial came on for LASIK eye surgery and one of the things they mentioned was correcting astigmatism. Anyone here gotten LASIK eye surgery and had their astigmatism corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    No joke? A bigger dot is better than a smaller one? Does this vary person-to-person or has this worked for most folks with astigmatism?
    It’s just what I’ve noticed personally. Sounds counter intuitive but the real issue is brightness. As brightness goes up the issue gets worse. I find that when I find a brightness that just allows me to see the dot properly it’s best. So if you take a 1 MOA dot and turn the brightness down it’s very hard to pick up. A nice 6.5 MOA dot or whatever is really easy to see and I don’t get all the blooming and issues that I would with the brightness cranked.

Thanks for the follow up.

I'll give the bigger dot a shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    You know, I was listening to Pandora and a commercial came on for LASIK eye surgery and one of the things they mentioned was correcting astigmatism. Anyone here gotten LASIK eye surgery and had their astigmatism corrected?
    Yes, my astigmatism was corrected with the lasik surgery.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Yes, my astigmatism was corrected with the lasik surgery.
    Awesome, I'm going to try and see about doing that.

Any tips or helpful information?

Site Supporter
    Yes, get the best surgeon that you can get. If you have an optometrist that you trust, he can probably recommend one.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Yes, get the best surgeon that you can get. If you have an optometrist that you trust, he can probably recommend one.
    Don't have an optometrist yet. How do you find the best surgeon, is there a "Yelp" of sorts for LASIK docs?

User Tag List