Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Dots: Use of, Astigmatism, & Pratice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    You know, I was listening to Pandora and a commercial came on for LASIK eye surgery and one of the things they mentioned was correcting astigmatism. Anyone here gotten LASIK eye surgery and had their astigmatism corrected?
    DO NOT get LASIK. Regardless of what the eye dr may tell you, it permanently weakens the cornea.

My wife had LASIK. It was great until our then 18 month old son accidentally poked her in her eye, ripping multiple layers of corners with his fingernail. Her recovery was very painful, and for quite some time we were wondering what kind of vision she was going to have in that eye. For years after that injury, she would wake up screaming when her cornea stuck to her eyelid, and opening her eyes re-separated the cornea layers. After the cornea fully healed, she is back to needing glasses.

I wore contact lenses for 30 years, and have now worn glasses for 5 years. I will happily wear glasses (or contacts) for the rest of my life before going through what my wife went through.

If you do any martial arts training, you would also be at increased risk of injury.

If your vision changes after the surgery, then you are either back to glasses, or further weakening the cornea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Vortex Spitfire 1x

Red dots seem not as crisp as I would like. I thought it was the dot's fault, not mine. After reading various articles/reviews, I decided on the above red dot scope. Various reviewers said the etched reticle gave a superior (for them) sight picture. This scope has red/green option. Looking forward to getting it mounted and see how it shoots!

I went to a gun show today and finally had the opportunity to not only look at an RM06, RM07, and RM09 back to back, but also looked at an MRO with and without a rear sight.

For MY vision, the RM07 (6.5 MOA dot) seemed to work best. This was due to the fact that, with corrected vision, it had the most uniform dot, and uncorrected, had the least amount of distortion and comet-ing effect bluring off of the right side. The 06 and 09 both had more starbursting when corrected and way more comet-ing to the right when uncorrected. Regardless of brightness.

The MRO was a little starbursty uncorrected, but wasn’t horrible. However, when uncorrected, and looking through the smaller aperture on a rear sight, the dot tightens up to roughly the same degree that it does if I were looking at the same dot through a corrected lens. The larger aperture seemed to do literally nothing for me.

This is exactly what I’ve been curious about for a long time now. I think I have a plan now for what kind of dots I’d be going for if/when I go to make purchases.

^^^ that’s what I’m trying to tell people. RM07 seems backwards but it works the best with astigmatisms. My milled G45 slide with one is in the truck for delivery today. Yayyyyy.

Try the eotech style reticle available in the Holosun 507c. It is a large reticle and doesn’t distort at all for me and I can still use the center dot as a fine aiming point. The rmo6 can look kind of like a comma to me for reference.
    Last edited by Rc217; 02-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rc217 View Post
    Try the eotech style reticle available in the Holosun 507c. It is a large reticle and doesn’t distort at all for me and I can still use the center dot as a fine aiming point. The rmo6 can look kind of like a comma to me for reference.
    I’ve looked through an EOTech through corrected and uncorrected vision before.

Corrected: through both eyes I see the reticle pretty well clear.

Uncorrected: with my left eye (dominant) I see some fuzziness, but it’s not bad. With my right eye, I see a tripled image cascading to 4 o’ clock to 4:30. This makes for a very busy and somewhat confusing sight picture.

Honestly I’d probably take the red dot over the EOTech personally. I won’t ever be using night vision (at least for this civilian for the foreseeable future). Uncorrected with either eye, I get a less busy and distorted/distracting sight picture than I do the EOTech.

RM07. Not a perfect dot but it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rc217 View Post
    I notice the effect of my astigmatism on the dot but it doesn’t effect my accuracy on target. Also, I have noticed that the eotech style reticle available on the Holosun 507c doesn’t distort at all with my astigmatism, even without glasses or contacts.
    I’m left eye dominant but I’m working on using my right eye, again. My left eye has astigmatism.

I have used many different sights.

Trijicon RMR Green 6.4 MOA works pretty good
    Trijicon RMR Amber 9 MOA doesn’t work good at all
    Trijicon RMR Red Dot 6 MOA works well if I turn the intensity down which causes less of a star pattern.
    Aimpoint 3 MOA is pretty clear.
    Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot 3 MOA is pretty clear.

You just have to see what works for you. Look at many in the store at arm’s length to see what is clear for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List