Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Learning about rifle quality

I have had excellent performance from BCM uppers ranging from 11" to 18". 55gr to 77gr, suppressed or unsuppressed, they just work.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Erik Lawrence and Mike Pannone's book is also very useful:

https://www.amazon.com/M16-M4-Handbo...s=mike+pannone

I've taken the Semper Paratus armorer course twice. I definitely agree with ASH556, it's a very useful class to take. The owner is a good friend, but I have no financial stake in his company, or any AR company for that matter.

I've personally used and recommend Colt, BCM, Centurian, Sionics and SOLGW. The Noveske, Daniel Defense and LMT carbines I have are old production, and I honestly have no details on current guns. Those three do run great, however.

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can, however, make a usable pigskin wallet. If a wallet is all you need, then it does not matter what it's made of.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The easy answer is a Colt OEM-1 or OEM-2 and load your preferred furniture on it.

Anyone who intends to do any amount of armorer-type work on an AR should download the Colt Canada manuals. They are the factory service manuals with all correct procedures and service specs. Findable with Google. It only took a minute or two for me to find the link last time I posted it here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Erik Lawrence and Mike Pannone's book is also very useful:

https://www.amazon.com/M16-M4-Handbo...s=mike+pannone

I've taken the Semper Paratus armorer course twice. I definitely agree with ASH556, it's a very useful class to take. The owner is a good friend, but I have no financial stake in his company, or any AR company for that matter.

I've personally used and recommend Colt, BCM, Centurian, Sionics and SOLGW. The Noveske, Daniel Defense and LMT carbines I have are old production, and I honestly have no details on current guns. Those three do run great, however.

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can, however, make a usable pigskin wallet. If a wallet is all you need, then it does not matter what it's made of.
    LMTs quality is as good as ever. They simply slipped my mind as their availability is sporadic and they are a little pricey.

I have two LMT ARs, both were bought as complete uppers / lowers about 12 years ago. At the time colts were hard to come by due to war production, BCM did not yet build complete guns, nor did DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I have a similar question (sort of) and I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or starting a separate thread.

I want to learn how to assemble my own quality AR's, and was wondering what the best way to do that is.

I was thinking buy a cheap PSA kit, take it apart, put it together (properly) and test fire. Do this several times with kits of varying quality, then after some experience start buying piece-by-piece and assemble an AR from the ground up.
    This is a great way to learn. You can look at Aero Precision parts and kits, too. YouTube can get you started with a lot of info, if a class is not readily available. My first build started by buying a lower at a local gun shop and parts at the local gun show.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The easy answer is a Colt OEM-1 or OEM-2 and load your preferred furniture on it.

Anyone who intends to do any amount of armorer-type work on an AR should download the Colt Canada manuals. They are the factory service manuals with all correct procedures and service specs. Findable with Google. It only took a minute or two for me to find the link last time I posted it here.
    Because sometimes it's nice to have a direct link:

https://www.coltcanada.com/assets/10...2005-08-17.pdf

(I'm assuming this is the right manual)
    EDIT: It's not, see post below.
    Last edited by Jay585; 02-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This is the index of downloadable docs. Weird, most companies don't allow folders like this to display this way:

https://www.coltcanada.com/assets/

This is the armorer's manual:

https://www.coltcanada.com/assets/10044s-2005-09-20.pdf

Not trying to be a jerk (i.e., DAFS, noob!), I just get tired of googling the same stuff over and over to find a link when everyone has Google.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Any particular books or sources I should consider in my journey towards a better understanding of rifles and their parts quality?
    If you want to learn about the AR platform without purchasing a book, clicking on the links here and reading until your eyes bleed will give you a good jump start and you will understand some of the things folks talk/argue/bitch about. I've personally abandoned the rest of the forum, but this part is a pretty good primer:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Base-Threads
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List