Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Handguns Non-FFL Dealer

Shipping Handguns Non-FFL Dealer

A few years ago I looked into shipping a handgun directly from me and UPS to an FFL. UPS told me it had to go overnight and therefore the charge would be $75. Because of that I always ship through an FFL. Shipping out isn't cheap as he says he has to cover both the shipping cost and run the serial number though his books, so it might cost me $50. So it appears to me that I have to choose between a $50 cost and a $75 cost. Easy choice, if those really are the only two choices.

Are there any other realistic choices? School me on this, please. I mention that because one seller on another board said that one of his terms of sale is that the buyer's FFL must accept a shipment from him as a non-FFL. I don't get it.

Site Supporter
    The only way to ship out without using a FFL holder and not spend a bunch on the shipping charges is by ignoring the carrier's requirement to ship overnight and neglect to declare the contents of the package. No rational person would advocate such an approach.

The only reason I can think of to ship a handgun yourself is simply to avoid the hassle of arranging the shipment with a FFL dealer, or if there isn't one within reasonable distance. Going through a FFL dealer always saves money in my experience.

Long guns are a different story.

Some FFL's will only accept firearms shipments from other FFL's - not from individuals. That's just their business practice, not a legal requirement.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The only way to ship out without using a FFL holder and not spend a bunch on the shipping charges is by ignoring the carrier's requirement to ship overnight and neglect to declare the contents of the package. No rational person would advocate such an approach.

I know a guy that doesn’t at all care about the shipper’s requirements because he doesnt work there.

Their overnight shipping policy is to reduce the amount of time their employees have to steal packages known to be guns. True story

You can use shipmygun.com. It basically just finds an FFL for you. Might find a cheaper FFL.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In some jurisdictions, it's illegal for the outbound shipment to not originate from an FFL. Check your local laws.

My understanding is the USPS will ship handguns at normal rates using priority mail, but only from an FFL. But it gets the cost down. $30 is fairly typical for the low end charge from an FFL to handle that process. That said, it's apparently not uncommon for handguns to show as delivered by USPS tracking as much as 48 hours before they are actually delivered to an FFL.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Around these parts, FFLs charge a $40-75 transfer fee, PLUS shipping (usually $30-50), so, shipping direct through FEDEX overnight is in fact cheaper, if the receiving FFL is OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Around these parts, FFLs charge a $40-75 transfer fee, PLUS shipping (usually $30-50), so, shipping direct through FEDEX overnight is in fact cheaper, if the receiving FFL is OK with it.
    I'll bet that's it. Thanks.

If you can find a small enough package, and I think 2nd day air, gets the cost down significantly.

I shipped 2 Glock frames using the UPS shipping clerk’s guidance and it was around $25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Site Supporter
    If you can ship UPS or FedEx on a corporate rate (but use your CC to pay), that may be a way to save.

My wife's company rate for a 4-pound (small box), FedEx international priority shipment to Germany was about $15. IIRC, I could have paid with a CC when I dropped off the package.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List