Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock followers

Glock followers

I have several gen 3 G26 and G19 magazines (those with no ambi mag release cutout). Several came with #5 followers, most came with #6 followers. I also have several gen 4 G26 and G19 magazines (those with the ambi mag release cutout) that all came with #6 followers. The gen 4 mags are also a little longer (maybe 0.1") than the gen 3 mags due to the need to fit with the largest gen 4 grip panel. I also see the newest gen 5 magazines come with orange #6 followers for easier round count identification.

Is there any reason to swap out my #5 followers for the latest and greatest #6? Any reason not to? I have not had any feeding issues with either follower using my cary or training ammo, but there are for more ammo brands and bullet types out there that I have not tested, and Glock went from the #5 to the #6 for a reason.

For that matter, I could swap out all my followers for the orange #6.

Again, I know I don't need to, my question is if there is a valid reason to do it anyway. Similar to updating a gen 2 Glock with an LCI extractor (the original works, the newest works better).
    Last edited by Moonshot; 02-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.

If all your mags run fine, I see no practical reason to do this.

Glock has been doing the "follower upgrade" thing for years.

I run Glocks in 9mm and .40, and over the years I personally have never had a mag reliability issue that was due to having an older follower design.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    If all your mags run fine, I see no practical reason to do this.
    This was my thought as well, and it's why I haven't made the change yet. I have more than enough spare #6 followers to swap out all my #5 followers if I wanted to, but I keep thinking of the addage if it ain't broke don't fix it.

On the other hand, they went from the #5 to the #6 for a reason. I know why they went from black to orange. I do not know why they went from #5 to #6. I wish I did.

The newest Gen 5 mags are now #7 followers!

Quote Originally Posted by AJLooch View Post
    The newest Gen 5 mags are now #7 followers!

I was gonna mention this.

I've never had a problem with any 9mm Glock follower starting with 9mm-3

Number six followers for Glock 9mm magazines, unlike the ones for .40, have been in use for like twenty years.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PensFan
    #6’s are still very much good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not know the newest gen 5 9mm magazines had #7 followers. Thanks for that info. Still not sure if there is any value to swapping out my #5 followers for a newer design. Again, I haven't experienced any problems with the #5, but I don't know why they went to the #6, so I don't know if there is a valid reason to update.

I thought this thread was about followers of the Church of Glock; looks like I was mistaken. Carry on.

Id leave them alone. Hell, i have a gen 1 glock mag that aside from being a bit too short, works 100% in my 19x

User Tag List