Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 48

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    The lock doesn’t bother me in the least. And I’m no where educated enough to be buying a used revolver. A Glock or Sig, no problem.

It’s funny though, I’ve never bought a used gun in my life!
    A brand new revolver from S&W is no safer a bet than a used one, IME.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There’s a document floating around the Web called “The Revolver Checkout”. At the end, they give a 1-page checklist. Or so I recall.
    Found it! Thanks

Site Supporter
    The 4 inch version has the same mechanical accuracy as the 6 inch.

Buying a used gun permits the purchaser to buy a product that depreciated for someone else. On used guns dealers can control prices paid. A sensible dealer will price used guns accordingly. For 35 years I bought most guns from a dealer who sold only used guns. He's retired now but was well known in the nation as well as in Texas. If I were to give examples here of the box car load of like new and unfired used guns sold at used prices, I would not be believed. I discovered that the vast majority of gun owners seldom fired their firearms. Sometimes they never do.

Olong is correct about buying an older specimen. If it looks as if it has not been handled or shot much, then it likely has not.

About new Smiths I will share this story. I have a recently purchased J frame and a slightly older J purchased new two years ago. The one purchased last month does something really weird. Dry firing shoots sparks from the firing pin channel into the chambers. The other one did the same thing but stopped after shooting a couple hundred rounds. The newer one continues to throw sparks despite having been fired 200 times. I suspect that others might do the same. I care not and just shake my head. The steel firing pin hitting the steel bushing channel a tad off center is the problem. I'll live with it.

Site Supporter
    Back in the day, if you bought a Model 48 from S&W, you could send it to the factory and they would fit a .22 LR cylinder for you at a fairly reasonable cost. Back in the day...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I have a 48 with 4" barrel and it is an accurate revolver. Good sights, somewhat heavy, large grip panels. Only problem I can see for most would be the cost of the ammunition for it. I also have a mod. 18, and mod. 19 all four inch revolvers. I like the K frame. The 18 gets shot more than the other two.

I have a 48 with 4" barrel and it is an accurate revolver. Good sights, somewhat heavy, large grip panels. Only problem I can see for most would be the cost of the ammunition for it. I also have a mod. 18, and mod. 19 all four inch revolvers. I like the K frame. The 18 gets shot more than the other two.

User Tag List