Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active shooter drills and the downside

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The eventual rebellion against that will be glorious.
    When I give preparedness talks to the general population, I start by asking for a show of hands: "Hi, I'm from the government. Who here wants to rely on the government to help them in a disaster?"

I feel like the equivalent for my college students is, "Who wants to die under a desk? No one? Good. Let's talk about how to prevent that."
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Ever watch this shit?

My parents did and hid under their desks as protection from nuclear weapons.

My question is, if kids from the 1950s survived the trauma of prepping for annihilation, can't contemporary kids survive prepping for mass shooting? I'm not endorsing unannounced drills for either, but I do think that kids today could be as resilient as kids who had faced other mortal concerns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Ever watch this shit?

My parents did and hid under their desks as protection from nuclear weapons.

My question is, if kids from the 1950s survived the trauma of prepping for annihilation, can't contemporary kids survive prepping for mass shooting? I'm not endorsing unannounced drills for either, but I do think that kids today could be as resilient as kids who had faced other mortal concerns.
    I would agree but I believe being shot (and more so stabbed) is far easier to comprehend and fear than really appreciating what strategic weapons can truly do. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I would agree but I believe being shot (and more so stabbed) is far easier to comprehend and fear than really appreciating what strategic weapons can truly do. Maybe I'm wrong.
    And there is video of mass shootings making it that much more tangible and frightening versus, say, watching a vintage bikini atoll nuke test.

Young people nowadays also live a generally much higher stress, constant pressure life than their grandparents did.

It is a difficult time to be a young person, not that life is ever easy at any point.

User Tag List