Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tourniquets and quick clot 2019

I'm not sold on the new Gen 4 SOF-TW, nor is our operational medicine unit. There's some serious doubts that it's a step backwards.

For one, the cuts on the windlass have sharp edges and have cut some of our people in testing. I think the change from the previous checkering was a mistake.

Two, I'm sitting here playing with it now and the hook (U-shaped thing that is reminiscent of the CAT's securing mechanism) is oddly swept.....in the wrong direction. The result is that I placed the windlass into the hook, but it slid up the curve and popped out. It was repeatable. Moreover, the triangle slides as well, which means it's easier to get set but isn't as secure, as I had it simply slide off when bumped.

I think it's always a good idea to hold off on being the Guinea pig for new medical devices, and I'm of a strong opinion that this TQ is one of those cases. Kind of wait and see.....but I'm not sold yet, and neither is my agency's operational medicine unit. We've previously bought about 8,000 SOF-TW's per year.

End state: If you're having that much trouble securing the traditional SOF-TW windlass into the triangle, stop being nice with it and just bear down. It's really not that hard...what I've found in teaching its use is that people tend to get to a point with self-application where it becomes painful and they don't want to put the windlass in the triangle, not that they cannot put the windlass in the triangle.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you have a Health Savings Account debit card, I've found that you can use it at Dark Angel Medical, Chinook Medical, Rescue Essentials, and North American Rescue online stores to order stuff. First Aid supplies are IRS approved for HSA spending.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    If you have a Health Savings Account debit card, I've found that you can use it at Dark Angel Medical, Chinook Medical, Rescue Essentials, and North American Rescue online stores to order stuff. First Aid supplies are IRS approved for HSA spending.
    Hmmm, I wonder if it's the same for FSA cards...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if it's the same for FSA cards...
    I tried last year. Couldn't find a vendor that accepted FSA for this kind of stuff. I don't remember who all I tried though.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I tried last year. Couldn't find a vendor that accepted FSA for this kind of stuff. I don't remember who all I tried though.
    I think it's changed. I purchased "stop the bleed" kit and a chest seal from North American Rescue last year with my FSA card. Amazon even started an FSA card section. It's a little tricky at Amazon, but you can add your FSA card as an FSA card and keep it for those purchases. I bought a stethoscope, otoscope, pulse oximeter with FSA from Amazon as well as a few 1st aid items.
    Medical Gear Outfitters (Skinny Medic's store) told me via email that he would have to process FSA card manually. Rescue Essentials said the card should work on all of eligible items.

Amazon taking FSA cards now is why I was wondering, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Check with the FSA rules, but sometimes you can pay with a regular credit cards and submit for reimbursement after the fact even if the vendor doesn't take the FSA card. Not exactly painless, but it's an option.

I've done this as well. My wife ordered some high-dollar sunscreen and it was really easy to submit for a refund. I just snapped a picture of the invoice and uploaded it to the FSA website. Check arrived in about 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Check with the FSA rules, but sometimes you can pay with a regular credit cards and submit for reimbursement after the fact even if the vendor doesn't take the FSA card. Not exactly painless, but it's an option.

Site Supporter
    New tourniquets added to CoTCCC recommended list on May 6th, 2019.

https://deployedmedicine.com/market/31/content/100

(Couldn't find this info posted, if duplicate or in another thread, please delete)

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    New tourniquets added to CoTCCC recommended list on May 6th, 2019.

https://deployedmedicine.com/market/31/content/100

(Couldn't find this info posted, if duplicate or in another thread, please delete)
    Just broke a TMT. SAM XT is unsat. Others on that list are less than ideal.

Hopefully CoTCCC "recommended" won't come to have the same value of NTOA "member tested & recommended."

The only TQs I will bet my life on are a SOFTT-W variant and the CAT gen7.
    Last edited by ST911; 05-28-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List