Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourniquets and quick clot 2019

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    RATs aren't great because the relatively thin diameter cord they use is much more likely to cause crushing tissue injury over the site of TQ application than the wide, flat nylon bands used by the CAT-T, SOFT-T, and similar. See here for more.
    Thank you for the link. You might also be interested in this study if you didn't already know:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26630092

That RAT seems to carry quite a bit of drama not related to the question of its effectiveness.

https://www.itstactical.com/medcom/m...tccc-approval/
    https://havokjournal.com/nation/when...ther-veterans/

I found the first of the two links in Greg Ellifritz's blog, which was listed among many many others when it comes to competing products.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...like-a-zip-tie

Ultimately I think I'd argue it the same way I might argue a choice of pistol: if you know how to use it, practice with it consistently, and take it to training, then that's what matters more. For example, in the IFAK refresher I mentioned earlier, our instructors (Glen Stilson and Adal Lopez) did teach us how to use TK4s while pointing out that it used elastic, required considerably more strength and dexterity that certain situations would not be likely to afford, but that they believed it was more effective than the CAT or SOFTT-W on pets and children.

That somewhat conflicts with what Mr. Ellifritz says in that blog entry, but the TK4 did come with the mini kit I keep in my lunch bag along with a CAT. I probably won't be using it on myself and I probably won't be in a situation that ends up with me using up all the other TQs I have, but it doesn't take up that much more space and I have learned how to use it to the point that it does cause lack of perfusion and also a certain universal facial expression when it's tight enough.

Also, I remembered there was a search function and found this older thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ATS-tourniquet

Hemostatic agents:

Quick Clot Combat Gauze works within the clotting cascade. “Blood thinners” work within the cascade by suppressing some of the factors. I was taught that QC would be less than effective in patients on “blood thinners” or cold environments. I have personally seen QC fail in the ER with those patients.

ChitoGuaze/Celox utilize a different method outside of the clotting cascade to form a mucus plug. I was instructed that it was a better choice for patients on “blood thinners” or cold environments.

TQ’s:

The NAR Gen7 CAT is very easy to apply. Effectiveness aside (already covered) I would by far pick the CAT over the RAT or SWAT for ease of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Disclaimer- I'm a nobody with limited experience and training.

I've heard of anaphylactic issues presenting with the use of chito/celox based hemostatic agents in people with shellfish allergies, while Quick-clot uses a clay-based active ingredient that is non-allergenic. Anyone have relevant experience?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post

I've heard of anaphylactic issues presenting with the use of chito/celox based hemostatic agents in people with shellfish allergies, while Quick-clot uses a clay-based active ingredient that is non-allergenic. Anyone have relevant experience?
    The 5 ER nurses that taught my STB class last week SWORE they've never seen any allergic issues from chito. Shellfish. Iodine. Zero.

Another Out-of-my-lane post brought to you by Yours Truly.

But I did ask.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post

What exactly have you heard?

From Celox's website:

"There have been no known or suspected allergic reactions as a result of using Celox since its launch in 2006. The chitosan has been extensively tested on individuals with suspected and confirmed shellfish allergy, none of the test subjects demonstrated any dermal sensitivity when tested against the chitosan material."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In someone with an altered clotting cascade I would definitely give some consideration to using Celox or another chitosan-based hemostatic agent over others.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What exactly have you heard?
    All I’ve heard was just that- “Chito/celox is made with a derivative of shellfish, so it might not be the best choice in those with shellfish allergies.” This was in the context of IFAK construction for cruiser assigned plate carriers, so people with compromised natural hemostatic processes was not considered at the time (although maybe it should have been).
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Hemostatic agents:

Quick Clot Combat Gauze works within the clotting cascade. “Blood thinners” work within the cascade by suppressing some of the factors. I was taught that QC would be less than effective in patients on “blood thinners” or cold environments. I have personally seen QC fail in the ER with those patients.

ChitoGuaze/Celox utilize a different method outside of the clotting cascade to form a mucus plug. I was instructed that it was a better choice for patients on “blood thinners” or cold environments.
    Interesting. I never considered the thinner could react with/reduce the effectiveness of the quick clot. If that's the case, I'll let the oldest boy know because he's on thinners as well and I don't know what he keeps in his emergency kit and prepper stash.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Anyone hear of the SAM XT Tourniquet? County Comm has 'em, that link goes there.

They also have a Bleeding Control Kit By SAM Medical -- I ass-u-me that these are the makers of the SAM Splint.
    That TQ came up in this weekend's Tac Med EDC class from Lone Star Medics. Myself and @Jackdog were in the class.

If I recall correctly, Caleb Causey (owner/instructor) said there had been issues with the ratchet device on them. The only two he recommended were the SOFTT-W and CAT.

I'll confirm that with Caleb, and Jackdog can confirm if I remember correctly.

Excellent class, by the way. I highly recommend Lone Star Medics and Dark Angel Medical if you have an opportunity to train with either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That TQ came up in this weekend's Tac Med EDC class from Lone Star Medics. Myself and @Jackdog were in the class.

If I recall correctly, Caleb Causey (owner/instructor) said there had been issues with the ratchet device on them.
    My agency evaluated them and found the same, FWIW.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List