Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Production trigger options for Glocks

USPSA Production trigger options for Glocks

So, I was bored last night working from home late and while I was waiting for things to happen I started reading through the USPSA rule book. I stumbled upon this blurb:

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts. Exchange of OFM parts between different models of Production approved guns is allowed.

The bolded above part caught my interest. Doing some searching around, I stumbled upon this piece of info on Apex Tactical’s site for their flat faced Glock trigger.

NOTE: As of May 15th, 2018, this trigger kit is legal for use in USPSA's Production Division (please see Appendix D4, section 21.6, of the USPSA Production Division rules).

So, if I’m reading and interpreting this correctly, does this mean that flat-faced aftermarket triggers that keep all factory safeties intact are now USPSA Production legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email Troy and whatever answer you want is the one you'll get from those loonies.

My answer is probably, but not worth the trouble IMO.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-06-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

That’s what I get for doing research late at night while working. I completely forgot I even read through that thread once upon a time. Thanks, dude.

I guess if I ever switch back to Glocks for whatever reason I have some options. For the price of screwing around on Overwatch’s Polymer DAT trigger it might be worth it for the giggles to see what that’s like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I wish that was as binary as most people (and companies that make/market aftermarket trigger components) seem to think it is.
    I agree with that totally. I’d only consider a couple of very specific companies (Apex and Overwatch Precision) in that realm anywho as I don’t have time to play around with equipment of dubious quality or function.

On the basis of these rule changes, and the information available from people a lot smarter than I am on these things, not the least of whom is @Tom_Jones, I bought an Overwatch trigger for my Glock 19.5 USPSA gun.

As I understood their (Overwatch) design, they started with a factory OEM trigger bar, coated it with some slickery finish, then attach their trigger shoe.

From my point of view the benefits are:

- The Overwatch trigger bar appears to interact with the safety features of the gun through the same voodoo magic that the factory trigger bar does. I like this a lot.

- The Overwatch trigger bar trigger shoe, being set slightly back vs. stock, allows my size M male hands to have better leverage on the trigger, affording me the perception I have greater trigger control

- The Overwatch trigger bar coating may reduce mechanical friction at the point where it contacts/rubs against the connector. I intend to pull mine out after a few thousand rounds and compare the Overwatch trigger bar and my OEM trigger bar (3,000 rounds before removal) for wear. My hope is that the Overwatch trigger bar has not worn as much.

- The flat face of the Overwatch trigger shoe allows my finger to move less during the trigger press, from a side to side point of view, vs. the factory trigger shoe shape. By which I mean the gun seems to move less, from side to side, as the trigger is pressed. This is immediately noticeable in dry practice and in live fire.

At my last match, I shot above 40% on the Classifier Stage. This perhaps no big deal to you guys, but for me it was a huge step forward as it was the second above 40% Classifier score I've ever shot. I attribute a good part of that to the Overwatch trigger and the increased trigger control I feel.

Of course this cost me $135. "For me" the benefit is worth the cost.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-06-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Rich with respect a trigger modification in a Glock probably isn't the reason your score improved by 40% (in fact, I'd put serious money down on that and I can't afford to be losing serious money). No trigger on the planet will mechanically increase scores by that magnitude, there are 800 other factors that come into play regarding abnormally high scores before equipment enters the equation.

If anything, I would say it acted as a placebo that made you mentally think to pull the trigger more properly. JMHO but to me that's just a training thing. If I grab my HK45 and use its crap DA trigger (light-years worse than any Glock) it doesn't impact my scores by 40 or even 10%.

That's my tangent thread drift. Take it or poop on it, I consider buying equipment to improve skill one of the biggest hoaxes in shooting and my posts reflect that.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    That's my tangent thread drift. Take it or poop on it, I consider buying equipment to improve skill one of the biggest hoaxes in shooting and my posts reflect that.
    I agree, but trying to improve results with hardware probably accounts for 99 percent of all USPSA hardware purchases.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree, but trying to improve results with hardware probably accounts for 99 percent of all USPSA hardware purchases.
    Much to my eternal disappointment, but I think that tomfoolery is pretty universal to all skills and hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Rich with respect a trigger modification in a Glock probably isn't the reason your score improved by 40% (in fact, I'd put serious money down on that and I can't afford to be losing serious money). No trigger on the planet will mechanically increase scores by that magnitude, there are 800 other factors that come into play regarding abnormally high scores before equipment enters the equation.

If anything, I would say it acted as a placebo that made you mentally think to pull the trigger more properly. JMHO but to me that's just a training thing. If I grab my HK45 and use its crap DA trigger (light-years worse than any Glock) it doesn't impact my scores by 40 or even 10%.

I agree on this. My goal and reasoning for swapping the OEM trigger out and putting an Apex or OP trigger in would be purely for comfort. The stock trigger’s dingus juts out enough that it becomes an annoying hotpoint for me. Low round count outings it doesn’t bother me as much. Higher round count outings or dryfire start to wear thin on me. Due to my hand size and shape with how I interface with a Glock, proper form and trigger finger placement has me using the last third of my fingertip on the trigger face. Not horrible, but again, it gets annoying after a while. Couple that with Glock Knuckle and the Glock platform simply becomes uncomfortable for me to use for extended periods of time. Make the platform more comfortable and I’ll shoot it more consistently (not necessarily BETTER).

Starting out fresh, I’ve objectively measured and observed that I can shoot Glocks roughly as well as about any other pistol out there. It’s when I don’t have perfect indexing and grip and/or extended practice/training sessions start to show signs of inconsistency and throwing shots.

I can shoot my polymer CZs just about as well, but they’re WAY more comfortable for me to use and interface with. Which means I’m more consistent, have no Glock Knuckle, and can concentrate on what matters, which is sights and triggers (the seeing and the feeling).

A new trigger isn’t going to make me shoot better, but it is going to make the process more comfortable which allows me to focus better on not screwing up.

User Tag List