Thread: Opinions wanted: Best value 5.56 or 7.62 QD mount + can combo

Site Supporter

Opinions wanted: Best value 5.56 or 7.62 QD mount + can combo

I've got other NFA items and it's long since past when a few suppressors should be involved.

I'm really interested in hearing (no pun intended) everyone's thoughts/opinions/experience on various 5.56 QD cans and 7.62 QD cans, and their mounts. If skipping the Hollywood fast-install suppressor stuff and just staying direct thread and leaving it permanently part of the weapon is the best call, I'm also interested in that.

5.56 hosts will be an 11.5in AR and 16in AR
    7.62 hosts will be a 16in AR10 and possibly an HK91 if a mount solution is offered for the HK thread pattern.

I'd like a durable can with a good service life and repeatable POI shift, if it's not the absolute quietest suppressor out there and isn't the most accurate, that's OK for what I need, so long as they're 'service rifle' accurate.

Are Surefires worth the price? I got to try the mil issued version on a 14.5in M4A1 and I wasn't terribly impressed with the way the QD worked. It shot well and was vastly quieter than an unsuppressed M4. But both that host M4 and that Surefire can saw quite a bit of use before I ever used them.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are welcome!

@JRB, I have little experience with SF so I will stick to things I have experience with. Most of my experience has been with Silencer Co Omega 300 and their Omega 9K. Besides those two I have also been shooting a fair bit, (since purchase) the Rugged Micro30 and the Obsidian 9. I never really messed with dedicated 5.56 cans so I can't comment on those. Frankly, I've stuck with 30 Cal cans because I like the versatility of them.

As far as mounting systems go I do not like the ASR system, it works loose so I ended up just going direct thread. My brother has the KeyMo mount and it is the bomb. Rugged mounting system is good no real complaints with it. As far as repeatability with zero after removal I noticed a little wander from the Omega 300 on my 300 BLK guns, and fairly significant on 5.56 guns, less so when using correct sized end caps. I have not noticed any real deviation with the Micro30 with mounting and unmounting the can. I essentially relegated the Omega to direct thread because I was too cheap to buy the KeyMo mount and got pissed messing with the ASR. If you buy a Silencer Co can I highly recommend you figure the KeyMo mount into the budget. You will save yourself aggravation and over all be happier with removing the can for punching the barrel out/cleaning the front of the flash hider/break and occasionally behind the flash hider/break. I also prefer the flash hider as it doesn't need to be timed, (something to think about).

The Micro30 doesn't have a direct thread option to which I am aware of. I am not crazy about direct thread as I do like to shoot most of my guns suppressed and it allows for a flash hider to live on the gun and switching between weapons. This does multiple things for for me, it protects my threads/barrel and is convenient for cleaning and switching between guns even though the it mostly lives on my 11.5 FBI barreled upper. If I did it all over again I would just buy two of the Micro30's or Radiant762's. I dig the Ti tube and mount. It's light while still maintaining ruggedness. I also do like the ability to run the silencer/suppressor in long or short config. Mine lives in short config but when it occasionally goes on a bolt gun in .308 it's in it's long config to save what's left of my hearing. My only gripe is that my Micro didn't come with two end caps. It drove me nuts that a second end cap wasn't included to capture the rest of the baffles when the extension isn't mounted so I purchased a spare end cap to keep it together. It looks as though that issue is solved with the Radiant762's.

All in all I like the construction of the Micro30 and the mounting system over the Omega. The Omega sounds slightly different to me than the Micro30 but that is subjective, (deeper tone maybe). They sound about the same it terms of how loud they are even with the micro in the short config but my hearing is pretty damaged from an IED so again that is pretty subjective. If it matters price wise the SpecQ pricing SilencerCo offers is pretty excellent. It was the pricing and the solid performance from the Omega that drew me to Silencer Co the first time. With an Omega, spare end cap and KeyMo mount you are about the same cost as the Rugged Micro30. If you want SpecQ I believe you have to purchase it from a qualifying dealer in your state. If you have the extra coin to spend I would look at something with Ti. I am not educated enough to tell you what the drawbacks might be to a can like that but looking at the Radiant762 weight and size wise is impressive and if it sounds as good as the Micro30 and there are no issues to be concerned with @ 9.4oz at a hair over 5 inches is hard as heck to ignore. I wish I could give you more information but @Hansohn Brothers can probably download a ton of info to you. I also think @Sensei has a fair amount of NFA stuff and is a smart fellow. I'm sure he could chime in. Also @LittleLebowski gave me a good amount of information/advice when I first started looking.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.

I have been disappointed with my Omega, and generally unimpressed with Silencerco's products. Like so many suppressors, the mount is not reliable. As well, the modular design leads to some problems.

My Surefire and Thunderbeast cans have exceeded expectations, and will likely be the only manufacturers I buy from in the future.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@Clusterfrack what part of the modular design leads to problems, are you referring to user error or actual problems/failures with the system? I'd also like to hear more about the TBAC suppressors mainly what what you like about them if you have time. I've been out shooting with someone who participates in PRS and he swears by them said they were hands down most repeatable and had least effect on zero but he didn't go into any greater detail than that. The the TBAC seem like great cans from everything I've read but would certainly like to hear first hand likes and dislikes of their products.

I’m having two kinds of trouble with my Omega's ASR mount. First, the mount keeps coming loose from the can. It seems like the locking ring is tight, but it's not. As well, it sometimes loosens from the flash hider even after being tightened. It's just bad engineering to have simple threads that connect the tube to the modular mount section. You don't have to be a genius to predict that when the mount gets carbon-fused to the flash hider, the tube will loosen from the modular mount section.

If I had it to do again, I would not get anything modular. Fewer pieces == better.

My two TBAC cans are superbly built, and they just work. I especially like my Ultra7 6.5 with the CB mount. I use that on three guns, a .260, 6.5 Grendel, and a 5.56 AR. The CB mount is highly repeatable, and is very solid. I don't feel like it needs a locking ring.

If you really need a locking QD mount, Surefire is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Clusterfrack what part of the modular design leads to problems, are you referring to user error or actual problems/failures with the system? I'd also like to hear more about the TBAC suppressors mainly what what you like about them if you have time. I've been out shooting with someone who participates in PRS and he swears by them said they were hands down most repeatable and had least effect on zero but he didn't go into any greater detail than that. The the TBAC seem like great cans from everything I've read but would certainly like to hear first hand likes and dislikes of their products.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@Clusterfrack, I got you. Thought you were specifically speaking to modular length and baffle stacks. I'm with you on the ASR system completely. I have had all of the exact same issues. Crap I've even had the sleeve work loose when trying to remove the end cap. The Omega does sound good to me but there are several design features that you've touched on that aren't ideal for certain. I forgot about some of that glad you mentioned it so the OP could read it. As for the locking rings I personally like the one piece lock ring system but do prefer it to be integral to the suppressor, modular has the advantage to be replaced if need be but it has more drawbacks on a Rifle/Carbine suppressor/silencer that it does advantages. I dig the heck out of the KeyMo mount, easy on and off and have yet to see it work it self loose after pretty long sessions with my brother at the range during his visits. Thanks for the info and for bringing up some of the points I failed to mention.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-13-2019 at 08:29 PM.

User Tag List