Thread: SWYNTS / DWYNTD

SWYNTS / DWYNTD

See what you need to see, and do what you need to do.

Several weeks back, while shooting pins under a moon lit sky I made an observation. I noticed my tritium sights where not taking the most efficient path to the target. I toyed with the idea of picking up a SIRT gun and experimenting with muzzle path and efficiency. I know the most efficient draw is the reverse of a reholster. Thought I was doing that, but somewhere things got off track. I decided to pick up a laser bore sighter (less expensive than SIRT, and uses actual gun) to get a better visual of exactly where my gun was pointed throughout the draw and presentation. The results have been eye opening, and showed the gap in what I thought was happening vs reality. My draw path was not direct from the holter to the target, but rather a "C" shaped arc, out from the holster to the left, and back to and down on the target. The front sight would drop into the rear notch as the laser came on target. I got decent result with this inefficient method, as I could hit a 2" dot at seven yards in about 1.75. I got decent at doing it wrong. Over the last few weeks, I did my best to refine my draw path. I put a target paster on a basement support beam about 7 yards away and worked drawing the laser direct from the holster, up the beam, arresting movement and breaking the shot. Today in live fire, I was able to get first hit on the 2" dot around 1.5. An additional benefit was that my presentation yielded the ability to use the quarter panel technique as described by @GJM. I had experimented with this previously and got very mixed results. It became obvious that one's understanding of a technique can become muddled in translation. More to come later, but wanted to get some initial thought down. Ran several reps of D6 to 2" dots at 7 yards, and was extremely pleased. Below are 2 runs (4.40 and 4.59) that had me shaking my head. Not sure when or how I got off track, but a silly $18 bore sighter has made a large improvement.

Name:  20190205_175414.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  20190131_121326.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  69.1 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Cool. I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

What type of bore sighter are you using? A bullet style or muzzle style? I have a bullet style on from SightMark. I'm not sure I'd want to drop the hammer with it inserted.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Cool. I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

What type of bore sighter are you using? A bullet style or muzzle style? I have a bullet style on from SightMark. I'm not sure I'd want to drop the hammer with it inserted.
    Tried to link, but phone won't do it. MidTen 9mm bore sight. On My USPc the unit sits in front of the extractor, away from the firing pin. Not sure about durability, but has about 200 dry fires on it with no impact. The batteries run for about 80 minutes, (no off switch), so I would suggest ordering a dozen or so spares.

Some further thoughts..

Having a constant on laser during the draw shows what happens during the entire process. Hands joining, any tension, twisting, shaking, dipping, etc. is revealed.
    Taking a break from social media.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    See what you need to see, and do what you need to do.

Several weeks back, while shooting pins under a moon lit sky I made an observation. I noticed my tritium sights where not taking the most efficient path to the target. I toyed with the idea of picking up a SIRT gun and experimenting with muzzle path and efficiency. I know the most efficient draw is the reverse of a reholster. Thought I was doing that, but somewhere things got off track. I decided to pick up a laser bore sighter (less expensive than SIRT, and uses actual gun) to get a better visual of exactly where my gun was pointed throughout the draw and presentation. The results have been eye opening, and showed the gap in what I thought was happening vs reality. My draw path was not direct from the holter to the target, but rather a "C" shaped arc, out from the holster to the left, and back to and down on the target. The front sight would drop into the rear notch as the laser came on target. I got decent result with this inefficient method, as I could hit a 2" dot at seven yards in about 1.75. I got decent at doing it wrong. Over the last few weeks, I did my best to refine my draw path. I put a target paster on a basement support beam about 7 yards away and worked drawing the laser direct from the holster, up the beam, arresting movement and breaking the shot. Today in live fire, I was able to get first hit on the 2" dot around 1.5. An additional benefit was that my presentation yielded the ability to use the quarter panel technique as described by @GJM. I had experimented with this previously and got very mixed results. It became obvious that one's understanding of a technique can become muddled in translation. More to come later, but wanted to get some initial thought down. Ran several reps of D6 to 2" dots at 7 yards, and was extremely pleased. Below are 2 runs (4.40 and 4.59) that had me shaking my head. Not sure when or how I got off track, but a silly $18 bore sighter has made a large improvement.

Name:  20190205_175414.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  20190131_121326.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  69.1 KB
    Damn good shooting! Even better training and preparation to perform at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ...while shooting pins under a moon lit sky...
    This kind of thing is why I keep coming back to P-F.com.

It's where my brothers live.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Good job, OP.

I also have found a laser boresighter to be useful in training. I often use one in dryfire (we're running Glocks, using the trick of keeping them slightly out of battery with a tiny piece of cardboard, firing pin never hits the boresighter). Shows you where your wobble is.

User Tag List