Thread: Wadcutters in Comp-I's for your J-frame... short video.

Wadcutters in Comp-I's for your J-frame... short video.

A while back during a discussion on speed loaders, I commented that I didn't have any trouble loading flat faced wadcutters into my 442 using Comp-I's. At the time, I couldn't get my video to upload, but now I am hoping this will work. I didn't see a way to embed it, so I've linked it below.

https://i.imgur.com/TMLk4sB.mp4

Those rounds are my own loads, but factory ammo works the same for me. The gun is wearing LG-405's. Folks with other grips may not have the same results.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for this. I like my Comp I loaders, but I’ve never thought to try with WC ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've reloaded thousands of 38 special with SWCs, but never with wadcutters. Do wadcutter cartridges have a roll crimp at the mouth? If they do, I bet that makes it easier for them to drop in than something with a sharp shoulder leading the way (like semi wadcutters).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I've reloaded thousands of 38 special with SWCs, but never with wadcutters. Do wadcutter cartridges have a roll crimp at the mouth? If they do, I bet that makes it easier for them to drop in than something with a sharp shoulder leading the way (like semi wadcutters).
    Mine have a small roll crimp, nothing crazy. Most factory WC loads do have some crimp to them as well. Breaking that sharp edge does help. SWC style bullets can be a pain, some are better than others. The Federal HST .38 load also has a healthy roll crimp and fed ok from strips/loaders... but I'm not convinced it does anything better than traditional JHP's. I normally carry RA38B.

I shot a fair amount of PPC matches back in the day and never had any issues with loading wad cutters with speedloaders. I used Dade loaders. They allowed the rounds to wiggle a bit, probably making use with wad cutters easier. Unfortunately they would release rounds if dropped on a hard surface. Preferred HKS or Safariland for duty use.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Me too.
    Wadcutters in a speedloader was not a problem at PPC time limits.
    Did not work so well in action shooting.
    I have shot some wadcutters in IDPA with the present 105 power factor. (My wadcutters are about f 107.)
    But only for the first cylinder, reloads with roundnose.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Yeah... you wont be winning and speed races, but it does work. Round nose, JHP, or even SWC are certainly going to be faster. A friend of mine bought his wife a Ladysmith, so I may be loaning him some speed strips and Comp-I's to try and see what she likes, and what may work with her new gun. Not sure if the Comp-I's are going to clear the factory rosewood (?) grips... we shall find out.

User Tag List