Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P228 Mainspring assembly re-assembly

P228 Mainspring assembly re-assembly

So I took apart my P228's mainspring assembly to swap out the mainspring. Now the real PITA is getting that assembly back together.

Anybody have any tips/advice for getting the assembly back together? I cannot for the life of me get the mainspring itself compressed in order to put everything back together.

I completely understand why they changed to the new E2 style mainspring, but I'm wanting to keep things as original as possible and am actually going to just leave the original spring in there now just in case the lower power one (18 lbs) were to give me light strike issues (I am NOT about to disassemble this SOB once it's back together).
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 02-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

We've transitioned over to the new seat, strut and spring in most of our agency guns. I'd recommend doing that, even if it's in an older stamped slide gun.

But to answer your question, you can use a vice with some tape on the jaws and compress the spring while it's on the strut (wear safety glasses), offsetting it just enough that the strut end will have room to come out. Keep downward pressure on the whole package (for obvious reasons) and compress the spring until the strut is poking out enough to replace the roll pin. It's a PITA comparatively, but once you do it once, it's pretty repeatable sans drama.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    So I took apart my P228's mainspring assembly to swap out the mainspring. Now the real PITA is getting that assembly back together.

Anybody have any tips/advice for getting the assembly back together? I cannot for the life of me get the mainspring itself compressed in order to put everything back together.

I completely understand why they changed to the new E2 style mainspring, but I'm wanting to keep things as original as possible and am actually going to just leave the original spring in there now just in case the lower power one (18 lbs) were to give me light strike issues (I am NOT about to disassemble this SOB once it's back together).
    You have my sympathy. Those are the biggest PITA in the world. I had better luck getting everything compressed and put back in the pistol BEFORE I tried putting the pin in to hold the spring. Hope that makes sense. For sanity’s sake, I’d upgrade. First thing I did to my P6 a few years back. Had to dremel the inside of the grips a bit but it was worth it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If you have access to the Sig multi-head screw driver, it makes it a little easier when used in conjunction with a vice.

Good luck.

Finally got the darned thing back together!

I used the grip component of my gun cleaning kit (the rod screws into it). I put the bottom piece on the end, got the strut and spring positioned in the firearm and shoved the whole thing back together!

Name:  07195235-1B17-4038-85FD-3AA68EDAE894.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  25.3 KB

Never again, I say!

If I ever post on here about trying to screw with the mainspring on this gun again (minus an unlikely switch to the E2 assembly), the first P-F member to find me, crack me over the head with something hard and show me this thread as a reminder to not do that I will pay you $20.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The e2 install/maintenance is much easier than the legacy setup like you have. On the P6 & P228 that have come through my possession it is always a mod that I perform. I also feel that it changes the trigger pull weight & profile to one I prefer.

Now enjoy one of the best carry guns ever made!

Site Supporter
    Where does one get the E2 upgrade kit? I'm interested in installing it in my P6.

The "kit" in question is to transition the pistol to an E2 grip (different contour, one piece, reduced reach). They don't make the grip itself to fit the P225 or P6.

Kit: https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sau...-kit-p229.html

The swap being discussed above involves swapping the main spring strut, the main spring seat and the main spring itself; basically all the parts in the kit except the grip itself and the decocking lever. These parts from the 228/229 WILL fit in a 225/P6 and can be ordered individually from the likes of both Brownells and Top Gun Supply.

Side note...you'll likely have to shave the inside of older P series grips to allow them to fit the different parts.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

Side note...you'll likely have to shave the inside of older P series grips to allow them to fit the different parts.
    You do. I did this with my P6 a few years back when I had it. I bought a used set of grips, sent them off to get stipples and dremeeld our the inside to work with the new parts. dremeling took about 5 minutes tops and was not noticeable at all.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Finally got the darned thing back together!

I used the grip component of my gun cleaning kit (the rod screws into it). I put the bottom piece on the end, got the strut and spring positioned in the firearm and shoved the whole thing back together!

Never again, I say!

If I ever post on here about trying to screw with the mainspring on this gun again (minus an unlikely switch to the E2 assembly), the first P-F member to find me, crack me over the head with something hard and show me this thread as a reminder to not do that I will pay you $20.
    There is an easier way. First you need a son in his 20's with a strong back (to compress the spring) and a weak mind (to be stupid enough to help you). But it does turn a difficult job into a manageable one.

User Tag List