Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about smartphone bore scope cameras

Talk to me about smartphone bore scope cameras

It looks like the micro/mini USB based ones are less expensive than the Apple lightning connector ones.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...cope+lightning
    #RESIST

I have this one

https://store.colddeadhands.us/produ...d-video-camera

It is just crazy for $20. I have not used it that much, and have probably used it more for other tasks than as a bore scope. What it does for what it costs sure seems like a deal.

I picked up this one...

https://valuegearonline.com/collecti...ke-viper-3-9mm

I got the option for the three sizes (15’), with the WiFi box.

There are three iPhone apps... due to the Lightning connector, I couldn’t get any of them to work because I couldn’t get the WiFi box to connect. Asks for a password, yet cannot find one. I am debating on getting a Lightning to USB connector, and seeing it I can run it direct on an app.

So, I downloaded a program on my laptop, and set it up to use them on there. Not a huge deal, being I’m not likely going to be looked at stuff only on my phone. Phone would be a nice addition, but rather not have to deal with WiFi.

Picture is pretty good among all three sizes. Best is the larger of the three, but the small 3.9mm isn’t bad at all. Light works well. Been sick the past two days, so kind of just played around with it for a little bit, and put it away. When I feel better, I do want to check out some of my barrels.

Would these be useful for, say, inserting under a closed door and looking around the room? Or is the focus too close for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Palisut View Post
    Would these be useful for, say, inserting under a closed door and looking around the room? Or is the focus too close for that?
    Depends on what you are looking to do...

On the small one, I could just see light from a TV, about 8’ away. The larger two, I could see shades of color, but not what was actually pictured. If you are just trying to see number of people in a room, I’m sure you’d be able to. Trying to read something, likely not.

But close in picture is pretty good. I could see stubble on my face, after shaving earlier in the day. Could barely feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    https://store.colddeadhands.us/produ...d-video-camera

It is just crazy for $20. I have not used it that much, and have probably used it more for other tasks than as a bore scope. What it does for what it costs sure seems like a deal.
    Dang, that's cheap. The Lightning connector sure adds cost to these.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Dang, that's cheap. The Lightning connector sure adds cost to these.
    As mentioned, if your primary use would be on the bench a laptop might be the alternative to your phone.

However I have used mine more to look inside walls and stuff like that where the phone would be a lot easier.

probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by Palisut View Post
    Here are couple I just took:
    24" Name:  24 inches away.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  50.6 KB
    36" Name:  36 inches away.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  34.8 KB
    But it would be great for sticking in a wall and looking for pipes and stuff. Mine came with (that I have misplaced) wires that clip on the camera to help steer it through a hole.

ETA: I did have to plug it into my old phone, since the new one is USB C format (I have a converter around here somewhere... )
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-06-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    As mentioned, if your primary use would be on the bench a laptop might be the alternative to your phone.

However I have used mine more to look inside walls and stuff like that where the phone would be a lot easier.
    Yeah, I think it makes more sense just to use a laptop and save money.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I think it makes more sense just to use a laptop and save money.
    Yea, that’s kind of what I’m favoring...

The iPhone connector is $17, but unsure if the cameras will draw too much power. If that is the case, and I really wanted to use it, then I’d have to add a battery pack and connect that to the connector.

I was considering it, as I am going to a gun show Friday... but not really looking at long guns. A bore scope isn’t going to show much more than what I can see by eye on a S&W M1917.

User Tag List